Chapter 8 - Denial

Começar do início

"It isn't." She let out a deep breath. "I'm just happy he's actually showing some short of interest and cooperating, even if he can be hardheaded."

"May, I doubt Serena would ever like someone like him. Ash seems like a troublesome student-athlete and Serena is quite the opposite." Drew sighed. "I haven't heard many good things. Clemont told me about the tutoring sessions which just turned into a study hall, but not much work has been done with his friend."

"They've known each other for awhile, but Ash is said to be a smart guy. Clemont should be more demanding or say he'll report him to Professor Oak if he doesn't get his work done." She shrugged. "That's what I'm doing."

"You know he isn't the type to do that, especially to a friend," May said.

"He doesn't necessarily have to report him, but use it as something to give him a push," Serena added.

"True," Drew agreed and chuckled softly. "But he seemed fine with it. I believe he's getting more of his own work done during the quiet time."

"I'm sure he is," Serena nodded. "Clemont is so much better at time management than me."

"Well, if for some reason he stops listening, let me know, and I can come help you during your lessons," May told her with a smile.

"Who knows. After the last lesson, I'm less worried. I think he'll be okay. If not..." her eyes burned with determination. "Professor Oak always comes in handy."

"Or, you know," May smirked, snaking her arm around Drew's waist as he stole a glance at her, "Drew and I can both come and we can be your competition. Ash seems like the type of guy who would really enjoy that."

"It's fine. I can handle it," she said. "Though, it might be good to challenge him if he honestly believes what I'm giving him now is too boring. If he sees you two dance, he'll definitely admit to being an amateur."

Drew scoffed. "Does he claim to not be one?"

"A bit, but I think he just doesn't like to imagine himself genuinely being that bad."

"I see," Drew said slowly, clicking his tongue.

"And he's seeing you dance all the time, Serena," May said. "Everyone knows you're the best girl in the department right now."

She blushed and tucked her knees close to her chest. "That may be what people say, but still, he hasn't exactly seen me dance in anything challenging. Just small partner dances with him."

"True." May thought for a moment, a soft smile forming. "It's really too bad. I know you're not looking for it as of now, but if he'd been a secret dancing protege, you could've easily made him your partner for the competition."

That was the idea didn't want to think of. Perhaps, the thought made her feel some kind of way inside, but even if Ash was remotely interested in dance, there was no way he would ever be ready in time for a competition. She pressed her lips together.

"And go against you two? I don't want to challenge you both," she said, waving it off. "Speaking of, I want to watch your routine."

Drew side eyed May. "It really isn't finished despite what this one may tell you."

"Drew! It is, at the very least, close to being done," she hissed as he shrugged nonchalantly. She lightly stepped over to the radio. "I promise, Serena isn't going to judge us. If anything, she'll help us!"

She turned on the waltz music and made her way over to Drew. She rested her fingers against the back of his shoulder and their hands came together. Serena loved the way the two of them looked into each other's eyes before beginning. The intensity of the quiet state between them said all that needed to be said before Drew placed pressure on her lower back, the two of them stepping out. He swung her around, dipping her down as their gaze stayed connected.