xx. key to the mystery

- the answer to the problem.

20

If you live long enough in the manor, you will know about the secret doors. That phrase is déjà vu.

I couldn't move for some reason, but with all my strength, I managed to look at where the others were staring as well. One of the paintings in the room started moving slowly. As it opened, we all saw pitch black.

Not until the person behind the painting walked closer enough for the light to hit her.

A familiar scenario.

A familiar encounter.

As if I was looking at myself, it reminded me of the first day I came here into this world. I'm looking at me. At my twin— at Hilian.

Same curly brunette hair. Small face with porcelain skin like a doll. Wearing a white polonaise dress, is the only difference we have other than our eyes. With her are emerald green, and mine is golden.

I thought I couldn't move, until I took a step forward.

"Hil . . . ian?"

Our eyes met. She showed a smile, I thought I was looking in the mirror. "I told you to don't look for me, silly sister."

"I *m**r**o***n**a**t* find me." (Hilian, chapter 12) (translates: I am here, you don't have to find me.")

"W-WHAT?! YOU'RE HERE?! YOU BITCH!" I heard Lord Byron shout. He didn't stop until the police took him out.

Hindi pa rin ako makapagsalita, hindi makapaniwala sa nangyayari at nakikita ko ngayon.

"Y-You . . . you planned all of this?" I asked, full of confusion.

Hilian's expression changed. She worryingly went closer to me. "We planned this." Aabutin niya ang kamay ko. "You knew all about this, Harlotte."

The moment our hands touched, my surroundings changed. But I can still see Hilian in front of me.

"Tomorrow, it's your turn to talk to father, okay?" ani Hilian na nakatingin sa 'kin. Nasa library kami.

I nodded. "Take these books, you'll be Harlotte now." I chuckled.

Deep inside, I couldn't believe it. The twins are taking turns to talk to their father. That's why Harlotte's books are in Hilian's room. That's why they meet secretly. Now that I remember it, the bartender mistook me for Hilian (chapter 8) when he saw me. Why the hell did I forget about that?!

I saw it all. How they meet in secret and how they exchange information. Mother was the only one who was seen in public for the last few days before Hilian disappeared (chapter 10) para mawala ang atensyon sa ama kong patago kaming kinakausap.

They planned it perfectly, we planned it perfectly. We made sure to be careful as much as possible, to make sure that at least one of us could still be seen in public to minimize suspicions. 

The last step was . . .

"I need to disappear," ani Hilian. Magkaharap kaming dalawa. "We need a push to make them move. I'll leave everything to you, Harlotte."

I nodded. "You can count on me, Hilian."

Mabigat ang paghinga ko, habol-habol ko ang hininga ko. Akala ko ay matutumba pa 'ko sa mga impormasyong nakita ko. Nag-aalalang napatingin sa 'kin si Hilian, napahawak ako sa ilong ko.

I got a nosebleed.

"Harlotte!" My mother rushed towards me with a towel, wiping my nose.

I couldn't react, I just looked at everyone.

I don't know what reaction should I show. Gladness for seeing Hilian safe, betrayal for not knowing this plan, or amazement for how they pulled this all off in a short period of time.

I was the only flaw.

It wasn't part of the plan for Harlotte to lose her memories. But what if Harlotte never did lose her memories? It's just that I was in her place.

Now, it all made sense.

Why I didn't disappear as well despite being with my sister.

Why a powerful man like my father didn't use all of his power to find his missing daughter.

Why my mother was way too calm for a mother whose child was missing.

"Soon, that imbecile Lord Byron will find what he's looking for." (Mother, chapter 10)

I could feel the tension in the room and the pressure they all have. As I look at them all and as they look back at me. This family is full of actors and actresses. Full of geniuses.

This is the Adelaide.

"I will talk to the authorities first," pagbasag ni ama sa katahimikan. He glanced at Sherlock as well. "I will talk to you as well, detective. And I want to start with an apology."

Sherlock slightly nodded. "Take your time, governor."

My father nodded as well as response before looking at Hilian. "We would need your statement as well, my child."

Tumango si Hilian. Hinarap niya muna ako at niyakap. "I will talk to you later, okay?" she soflty said before leaving.

Hinawakan ng ina ko ang kamay ko at nilagay rito ang panyo. "I'll go get you some medicine, darling," nag-aalalang aniya.

Hindi pa 'ko nakakasagot ay nagmamadali siyang umalis sa harapan ko. It was only me and Sherlock left.

The lord and his wife were taken by the authorities, Felix was taken to the hospital. The butlers of the Byrons' were handcuffed too.

I couldn't believe it. Is it all . . . over?

"I always knew you're a part of this," ani sherlock. Natauhan ako nang marinig ko siyang magsalita. Napatingin ako sa kaniya na nakatingin pa rin sa kabuoan ng dining area.

"But I didn't think that your whole family can pull all of this . . ."

He then looked at me. Again, it reminded me of my first day here, our first meeting.

I'm looking up at him, as he looks down on me. With his gray and lifeless eyes, where I fully see the flower and cross tattoo on his throat. He still smells like a cigarette, now with a hint of gunpowder.

Yes, indeed. This is the main character of the book.

Sherlock Holmes.

"This investigation is one if not the most, thrilling and astonishing one I had."

"You win this case, Lady Harlotte. You outsmarted me."

"I thought this was just about your twin sister, Hilian. It turns out, your whole family is included— it's the case of Adelaides."

𓉞✎🕊