x. play a double game

-to be two-faced.

10

I still have the same expression when I asked my parents where we're going—an idiotic look with eyes staring at nowhere and lips smiling blandly. From the moment I'm standing in front of them, to the carriage sitting in front of them, to the dining chair, sitting beside them.

The same idiotic look, just different settings.

Eh? What?-

"How's the business going?" Narinig ko ang boses ng ama ko.

Doon ako natuhan at napatingin ako sa paligid ko. Hind ko napansin na nandito na 'ko, nakaupo sa harap ng lamesa kasama nila.

As if my face took a screen shot, the colors turned black and white—the shadows are toned and sharpened.

What. . . the actual fork.

A long table where the two Lords are both at each ends. My mother at my side, facing Lord Byron's wife and me, facing. . . Felix.

I want to puke right now, can't imagine what's happening. I don't know how to face him after what I learned earlier!

"It's going well, Lord Ruelio's shops are increasing, so as the demands of goods. Our factories are getting busy," masayang sagot ng ama ni Felix.

Pasimple akong napatingin sa kaniya. Nakatingin siya at nakikipag-usap sa ama ko.

Lord Byron, Felix' father. I don't remember his name quite well, but I've seen his illustrations a few times before. Though, since he's just an extra, I didn't give much attention to him. But seeing him in person, he really looks like an intimidating man.

His face is almost the same as Felix, but older. And his eyes are dark brown.

"Thank you for inviting us, this is a lovely home," my mother started a conversation with Lord Byron's wife.

She smiled. "Thank you for the compliment madam." She looked at the decorations here in the dining area. It's filled with paintings, vases, and flowers. "I picked the decorations, and I also grew the flowers myself."

"You really love plants," my mother gently answered.

"Yes, it's a hobby of mine."

The two Lords and their wives are having conversation. The maids are serving our foods. . . and there are freaking dozens of butlers surrounding us.

Patago kong nililibot ang tingin ko. Kada sulok ay may nakikita akong butler. I know they're rich and has many enemies, but isn't this too much?!

"Please, don't mind them too much," biglaang sambit ng babaeng nasa harap ko.

Natauhan ako sa sinabi niya at napatingin ako sa kaniya. Napansin niyang nakatingin ako sa mga butler sa paligid namin.

She showed a soft smile. "I apologize for making you uncomfortable, but Lord Byron is just being cautious, we had a history of thieves on our house. Even some of the maids," she explained.

Our eyes met. She's the wife of Lord Byron. Wearing an elegant navy blue dress. Apple cut hair, colored black. Graceful and elegant, she looks so young. But still, Harlotte's, my and Hilian's mother is more beautiful than her.

"Oh, Harlotte's just used to few people, since we only have a few on our home," my mother jokingly said.

Felix' mom chuckled. "But you have trusted ones in your home. I envy the Adelaides' to have people like that."

"Please don't, it's still nice to have many butlers for safety purposes. . . " Mother's expression changed. Nabigla ang asawa ni Lord Byron, agad niyang nabasa ang ekspresyon na meron ang ina ko.