xiv. putting the cat among the pigeons

- causing alarm/ trouble.

14

If you live long enough in the manor, you will know about the secret doors.

As someone who just got here and doesn't have memories, this is new to me. Since Melissa was here since she was born, she's familiar with the secret doors but not all of them. 

Turns out there are hidden doors located in different places of the manor that will lead you to different rooms. Dito ako dinala ni Melissa ngayon. Isang secret door malapit sa dulo ng hallway ng kwarto ko.

Isang ordinaryong salamin lang 'to tignan pero sa likod pala nito ay isang maliit na pinto na konektado sa kitchen. Doon, makakadaan ako sa backdoor para makalabas at kitain si Homer.

Ilang minuto bago huminto si Melissa na nauuna sa 'kin. Dahan-dahan siyang lumapit sa maliit na pintong hinintuan namin at dahan-dahan din itong binuksan. She took a peep inside before looking back at me.

"There are no one in the kitchen at the moment, Lady Harlotte," she said. "I already told Homer, he's outside the manor riding an old carriage filled with vegetables. Pumasok na lang po kayo sa loob, magbabantay ako rito."

I gently held her hands as I genuinely smiled at her. "Thank you so much, Melissa! I owe you big time!"

She blushingly smiled. "Anything for you, my lady. Please be careful."

I nodded before she opened the small door, letting me go through it. Sumunod siya na nililibot ang tingin sa paligid.

With her guarding the entrance of the kitchen, I went outside through the back door where I saw Homer peeking in front of the carriage.

"Lady Harlotte!" mahina pero mabilis na pagtawag niya sa 'kin. Nagmamadali akong pumasok sa loob ng lumang karwahe na puno ng mga gulay.

"Homer! Can you take me to our old coachman? The one who used to take me and Hilian," ani ko habang sumisilip sa labas, natatabunan ako ng gulay.

"Of course, my lady! Please hide yourself quickly!" he answered as soon as the carriage started moving.

I nodded as if he can see me.

We started to move, the guards took a glance inside of the carriage, but thankfully, I hid well and they didn't open it fully. It's the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had. 

Pero hindi ko masyadong napansin ang sakit ng pwet ko sa pagsakay, dahil ang buong atensyon ko ay nasa impormasyon na nakalap ko.

I have a new lead.

The governor fired all of the coachmen after the accident, except his. Maybe because of their negligence— making sure they will assist us well, me and my twin sister. But he might thought that its all that, because our coachman of the day of the accident was never found.

Hindi nila alam, may ganap pa bago ang aksidente. At 'yon ang aalamin ko ngayon.

It wasn't long before the uncomfortable ride stopped. While being surrounded by vegetables, I heard Homer speak from the outside.

"My apologies, my lady! I needed to drop the vegetables to the market soon! Maari po bang balikan ko na lang kayo pagkatapos ko?" nag-aalalang aniya. Napaayos ako ng upo at pilit na umangat sa mga gulay.

Inabot ko ang pintuan ng kalesa. "No worries, Homer!" I answered. Nakahinga ako nang maluwag nang mabuksan ko ang pinto at nakawala ako sa mga gulay. 

Homer is sticking out his head of the carriage, trying his best to look at me. "Thank you, Lady Harlotte!" Nalipat ang tingin niya sa likod ko, may tinatanaw. "The young ladies' coachman was Sir Tony. I know that he's living with his wife over there, my lady!" May tinuro siya sa likuran ko na agad kong nilingon.