Chapter 35: Death

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
~Norman Cousins~

"Wake up."

"Honey, wake up."

"Honey."

"Sweetheart, please wake up."

"Y/N."

"Wake up."

I got up from my hunched position startled. The whispers of the abandoned souls in this forsaken place is louder in my sleep. I couldn't help bug be frantic each time I hear their whispers of agony and screams of horror.

"Honey."

A whisper and a silhouette appeared in front of me.

The figure wasn't a person. It was a soul and I know exactly who it is.

"Hatter?"

The soul of the hatter smiled and vanished, reappearing closer to me.

"Honey, I'm glad we met here."

I stared at the hatter and realized that I heard his voice but his lips did not move to form any word. His voice was in my head.

"Listen, honey. The captain and the huntsman already made it to the end of the mountain. They are waiting for you at the end. I shall escort you there."

Before I could utter a word to reply, he vanished again and a trail of blue light appeared leading to which I presume the exit to this hellhole.

I quietly walked, following the trail. Strangely, I haven't heard anymore whispers since I saw the hatter's soul. I was kind of glad to see him but I would rather see him alive. 

After an hour or so of walking, The trail vanished and I was already infront of large stones that resemble a gate. I was about to pass by the gate but I hesitantly looked back just to see the hatter's soul, looking intently at me.

"Go." His voice in my head said.

"How about you? What would happen to you?"

"Stuck here forever, remember? I won't say that I don't feel good about this place but I feel happy because my sacrifice was for helping you, my special person, honey."

I felt the liquid burn my eyes. My tears won't even fall now.

"Hatter, thank you. Thank you for everything. I wish it did not have to end like this but it did." I sniffed.

"All I wished was for you to stay. Yet, I don't to be the reason for your loneliness. People should chase their dreams don't they? I'll be rooting for that day you reunite with the man you love, your dream, honey."

"Can I hug you one last time?"

The hatter's soul bitterly smiled.

"You'll just pass through. No body, no solid form remember?"

"I'm sorry."

"No more apologies, honey. Go. They are waiting for you."

The hatter smiled and vanished. Not a thing remained from him that I could keep as a reminder of his kindness.

I took a deep breath and turned around continuing my stroll. Passing the rocks which resembled the end of the treacherous mountain.

A few yards away, I saw a cave with light shining from within. It is definitely the cave where the lamp resides. I quickly dashed towards the direction, hope blooming in my mind.