Chapter 33: Mountains

"The mountains are calling, and I must go."
~John Muir~

"We're here."

I looked up after the hatter finished his sentence. Finally, after days of non-stop venturing through the endless roads of Pangaea, we're now at the entryways of the Mountain of Whispers.

I studied the way the mountains are formed together like a whole blockage towards the other side of the world. It's like someone decided to put these mountains as a barrier so that both sides won't be able to reach the other.

I saw the huntsman walk ahead towards the cave-like entryway of the mountain. Strangely, the mountain looks well preserved and taken care of. It's not like the other mountains that look shabby and there's barely a chance where you could climb without falling. From the looks of it, the mountain has stairs that people use to easily climb upwards.

Out of the blue, the huntsman was stopped by a figure dressed in all dark clothing. They also wore a fabric over his entire face, covering it all over. They emerged from the shadows provided by the mountains and held a dagger right at the throat of the huntsman.

"What's your business, young man?" The gruff voice of the masked stranger asked Seokjin.

"I'm accompanying a lost woman to get The Magic Lamp of Pangaea. If you are going to be kind enough, please let us pass through so we could continue our journey, seńor." The huntsman calmly requested, even by the threat of the sharp dagger pressed against the skin of his neck.

"Show me the woman." The stranger ordered.

I stepped away from the hatter to show myself to the stranger before us. Yet, I could only take a few steps away when someone stepped in front of me.

"Why should we show you her?", the captain clicked his tongue, "and to what reason do you need to see her?"

I flinched when my body almost collided with the captain's when he stood in front of me. I immediately recoiled and take a few steps back.

I've been avoiding the captain ever since that night where a meteor shower occurred. It was a night that haunted me in my sleep, confused my heart and invaded my head.

I wasn't in my best behavior after that night. The mad hatter even felt estrange when he talked to me after that night happened. I requested for Seokjin to stick to me all the time, fearing that the captain might invade my personal space once again. Thankfully, after that night he kept his distance from me. Yet, I still catch him watching me from a distance waiting for an opportunity to get me alone with him again.

His stance is protective as he made himself seem like a shield to hide me from the stranger holding a dagger near the huntsman's throat.

"Because you stepped foot on the territory I owned," the stranger's voice lowered, "I shall know who's the root of these instances."

"I'm the woman." I stated, revealing myself as I step towards the direction of the stranger before us. I stopped right a meter away from him and the huntsman, warry of his intentions towards me.

"Come closer." The stranger ordered, letting go of Seokjin and shoving him aside, towards the entrance of the mountains.

"I do not permit her." The captain's voice warned, an underlying threat clear on his words.

"You do not have to permit her," the stranger began, moving two steps towards my direction, "she would make her choice."

The stranger held his palm in front of me and I walked closer towards him, putting one of my hands in them.