Chapter Twelve: Co-Captain

Start from the beginning

"Allison, where'd you get this thing-" My question was cut off by the sound of a branch snapping. The three of us tensed, growing silent. My eyes darted around, my heart rate speeding up. Would Peter be so brash to come out here and show himself? I highly doubted it. Peter was stealthier than that. He'd wait till the perfect moment to attack, and this wasn't it.

"Hold this." Allison quietly ordered, shoving her crossbow at Lydia.

"What? Why?" She asked, obediently taking the bow from her.

"Because I thought I heard something!"

"So you heard something. Let's just go." I ordered. 

"So, I want to find out what that something is." She handed me her gloves.

"We're in the woods, Allison! There's about 500 different somethings out here!" I mentioned.

"Don't worry, it's probably nothing." She shrugged it off. I rolled my eyes.

"But what if that nothing is something and that something is something dangerous?" Lydia asked Allison, who was already walking away. I paused and looked at Lydia, staring at her in confusion. Allison paused.

"Shoot it." She barked and continued to walk away. Lydia whimpered.

"Was that even English?" I asked. Lydia rolled her eyes. 

"Nooo, it was Proto-Balto Salvic, Hayley."

"You make me feel like I have the intelligence of a pre-schooler." I sighed.

"You're welcome." Lydia chuckled. "Anyways, onto more important matters, who are we going to get you to go to formal with?"

"Uhh, myself?" I questioned. Lydia laughed as if I was joking. 

"That's funny, sweetie."

"What about you, Lyd?" I cocked my head, "I mean, Jackson's going with Allison, so what's your plan? Go with Scott?" Lydia rolled her eyes. 

"Psh, I can get someone one hundred times better than Jackson at the snap of my fingers." She flipped a strawberry blonde lock over her shoulder, "I'm thinking Carter? He's number 28."

"Why not just take Greenberg while you're at it?" I smirked.

"Hey, watch it McCall, I'm setting you up with a date and I can make it as torturous or pleasant as I want." She winked.

"Terrified." I rolled my eyes. "I'll pass Lydia. Thank you, but no thank you.

"Stags for losers. We're getting you a hot dress, some six-inch heels, and a date. I don't care who it is—Bennett, Sam, Chad...even that curly haired quiet kid."

"Isaac Lahey?" I choked on a laugh. 

"Not the point: hot dress, hot shoes, hot date. Hot you." She winked only for me to roll my eyes in reply. Allison came rushing back towards us, her feet moving like she was on a mission. Her eyes were glassy and puffy. I could tell her teeth were chomped down on her bottom lip from opening her mouth.

"Al, you okay?" I asked cautiously.

"I'm fine." She mumbled, her head down as she picked up her duffle.

"Okay Miss Pretty Little Liar," Lydia crossed her arms over her chest, "what's the deal? What did you see out there?"

"Nothing, Lydia!" Allison retorted, her voice raised. The two of us looked at her in shock. "It was nothing. Just drop it."

☾☾☾

After an unsuccessful shopping trip, Allison and I sat on her bed scrolling through a website full of dresses and listening to music on her laptop.