Get Out

~ "and then she smiled, and that's what i'm after. a smile in her eyes, the sound of her laughter" ~

I may have lied to Vera a tiny bit. A) I wasn't just terrified, I was fucking petrified. If it starts to spread around school that I'm a lesbian, my existence at school would be so miserable. I might as well just do online school. And B) I didn't go to any other classes. I hung around the art classroom with Mrs. Hudson, who didn't mind one bit because she loves me. I borrowed a sketchbook and holed up at her desk while she taught a bunch of freshmen. I just started sketching. I didn't have anything in mind when I began, but the graphite just started flowing and my hand moved like it had a mind of its own. After an hour or so, I had completed a picture of a dancer, mid-firebird. Her long leg elegantly extended out in front of her, and her other one was bent towards her head as she effortlessly jumped in the air. A somber feeling settled in, I really missed this sport, even subconsciously I was thinking about it.

"That's really good Aria" Mrs. Hudson spoke, startling me out of my trance. I looked up and her room had emptied, and the clock read 3:30, school was over.

"Thanks Miss."

"Have you considered majoring in studio art when you go off to college?"

"Ah, um - I haven't actually. I was thinking of taking a gap year next year to figure things out, and it's already December so college applications are due soon and I haven't done any" I chuckled. Part of it was pure laziness, but also the thought of filling out applications that detailed my life and try to sell myself to mediocre schools that I don't even want to go to just makes me cringe.

"That's always a good option. Let me know if you need any help next year with applications or anything. I really think you should major in something art related. You're very talented Aria."

I blushed a little, this is why I don't like showing people my art, I feel like I'm fishing for compliments and I hate it. Smiling, I snap the sketchbook shut and gather my things.

"I'll see you around Miss" I say. Mrs. Hudson is focused on something on her phone now, and just waves me off.

I exit the school, skateboard in hand, shivering from the cold, and I hear heels clicking behind me. Whipping my head around, I spy Vera also leaving the building. She's digging through her purse, so I speed up so I can get to her car first. She's still rummaging for her keys when I make it to her black Ford Explorer. I lean against the drivers side door and plaster a goofy smile on my face.

Vera finally finds her keys just as she approaches her car, and when she sees me, she jumps a little.

"Fuck Aria! You look like Pennywise with that stupid smile. Almost gave me a heart attack!" She clutches her chest jokingly and I just chuckle.

"Give me a ride home?" I say with my best puppy dog eyes. Vera rolls her blue orbs and runs a hand through her silky hair. And to think that just a few hours ago those fingers were ins-

"Fine, get in before anyone sees you." I squeal with delight and rush around to the passenger side.

Vera gets situated in the drivers seat and I take charge of the radio, obviously. I find a station playing an Arctic Monkeys song and turn the volume up. Even though it's only 3 something, the sun is already about started to set, casting a dark shadow over our small town. I listen to the melody of the song and unabashedly admire Vera as she drives. Her elbow rests comfortably on an arm rest and she grips the steering wheel with one hand. She has a matching crème trouser and jacket set, with a button up under. I bite my lip and cross my legs as I stare at her. She's so beautiful. I have to keep myself from literally climbing onto her lap, because she makes even the simple act of driving look hot.