I Know How You Flirt

~ "your lips belong to me" ~

Why didn't you tell me?"

Iris storms up to my locker before first period and demands answers, since I've been ignoring her texts all weekend. I restrain myself from rolling my eyes because she seems genuinely hurt.

"Because Iris, how am I supposed to know what your reaction would've been? Plus, I don't know if you've noticed, but you and Garret are my only real friends, so if I lost you I would be losing 50% of my friends!" My volume gradually increases as I get more frustrated.

"Aria you're my best friend, I thought you trusted me enough to tell me something like that!"

"You have to realize that you're not exactly the most trustworthy person, I mean you were making out with Michael the same week I broke up with him" I say with a laugh. There's no way she sees me as her best friend when I definitely don't see her as mine.

"You didn't even like him!!" she shouts, getting more frustrated. I open my mouth, ready to verbally insult her more, but the approaching sound of heels cuts me off.

"Is everything alright over here?" Of fucking course Vera would catch this conversation.

"Yes Mrs. Avila, we're fine" Iris says through a fake smile. I can't make eye contact with Vera so I just sigh and stare at my shoes. 

"Miss Zerafe?"

I bite my lip and finally look up at the beautiful woman. "Just peachy ma'am."

Vera looks unconvinced. "Right. Well, try to keep it down ladies." And with that, she walks away.

"What a bitch" Iris says.

"Shut up Iris" I reply, before slamming my locker and heading to a bathroom to clear my head.

I finally find an empty bathroom on the third floor, and plop myself on a sink while pulling out my vape. I brush my hair out of my face as I take a deep hit. The nicotine goes straight to my head and I get a minor head high for a few seconds. Being a human is fucking hard. I don't think I can manage going to any more classes today, so I might as well get comfy in here.

Scrolling through instagram reels and puffing on my blue raspberry vape, a weird calm feeling finally comes over me. If only I could just stay in this dingy bathroom for the rest of my life.

Then the fucking bathroom door swings open and the woman I apparently can't stay away from for more than 10 minutes comes in. She halts as soon as she sees me sitting on a sink, vape in hand, looking like a deer in the headlights.

"Seriously Aria?" Vera walks over to me and snatches my vape out of my hand, looking quite fed up.

"Hey that's mine! You can't have it" I pout. Vera rolls her azure eyes and pockets it. Then she puts one hand on the sink on either side of my thighs and stares at me. I feel my heart rate increase at the proximity of our faces, and nervously bite my lip.

"That was a pretty heated conversation between you and Iris."

"It wasn't a conversation. We were flirting. I think I really got a shot, don't you?"

Vera scoffs. "Oh please. I know how you flirt Aria. That wasn't flirting. Why were you fighting?"

"Because she knows I'm a lesbian and she's mad I didn't tell her" I admit. "How do I flirt?"

"Why didn't you tell her?"

"I didn't tell anybody!"

"You told me."