Part 44 - Landfall

"Load and fire!" Carm bellowed,

*KATOOOOOOOOOOM

"Fire again! Faster!"

Lonnie grabbed a T13 APCBC-HE Warhead, while his brother Lakie grabbed a case of propellant,

The two loaders slammed the two pieces of the shell together, completing the full shell,

They then shoved the shell into the gaping breech,

The loud scraping sounds of steel on steel permeated the turret, as the 70-pound shell entered the open breech.

The loud sounds of worn metal crashed as the breech slammed shut, the shell now doomed to its fate inside the barrel.

"Up!" Lon shouts, his brother tapping the gunner's shoulder to indicate the gun was loaded.

"FIRE!!"

*KATOOOOOOM,

The three enormous pistons mounted on the gun breech bore the impact of the main cannon's mighty recoil.

The T13 projectile flew through the air, covering distance at a rate of 3,000 feet every second,

It slammed into the wooden mock-up tank target, one and a half miles away,

The explosive warhead then went off inside

Smashing it to splinters.

"DIRECT HIT!" The gunner shouted, looking at his handiwork.

Carm peeked his head out of the cupola to get a better view, the cannon's firing sound echo still fading off in the background.

The total reload time was a mere seven seconds,

Frighteningly short, especially for a crew consisting entirely of teenagers.

Just went to show how good they were at their job.

If a bunch of random Japanese schoolgirls could drive a tank so well without having touched one in their lives up until a few months ago, then these boys, who'd been put through a grueling boot-camp session and a 5-day tour of actual combat, they could certainly do it better.

Ruthlessly better,

"Good work, but we need to do better if we're gonna defeat those college brand scum." Carm said.

Lakie let out a short breath before the process repeated.

———————————

When they were done, the rudimentary shooting range stank of sulfur.

Twenty-five new 105mm shell casings joined the ever growing pile of burnt brass next to where the tanks were supposed to go.

The T29's vents worked hastily to remove the gas fumes clouding the turret.

The sun peeked out from behind a cloud.