Chapter 7

Vanessa

We arrive at my apartment and we walk in I wave at Daryl who is working at the desk. I think about telling him that Mateo is a friend staying with me but I decide against it. Mateo and I get into the elevator and ride it in silence. The run in at his apartment was awkward and a little uneasy. I don't want to be another cliché of a girl who has a crush on her brother's best friend. After walking down, the hallway to my apartment unlocking my door I realize how simple my apartment is compared to his and how small it was until I realized the tall, and dark-haired Mateo walked in behind me and shut the door.

"It's small I know I'll sleep on the couch and you can stay in my room since you know you're way taller than me and I stay up all on night even on my nights off."

"Not happening this is your place not mine," I walk in further and walk into my room to change out of the clothes I borrowed from Juliet. I change into some comfy black pajama pants and an oversized tie dye t-shirt. I walk out of my room and see Mateo sitting on the couch.

"You stay up all night even on your night off?" He asks looking directly into my eyes. I almost feel like he is staring into my soul.

"Yeah, I do."

"What so you do all night then?"

"Watch Netflix, or reruns of the games from the night I missed."

"What types of games?"

"Basketball."

"You're a fan huh?"

"Yes."

"Who's your favorite team?"

"The Utah Jazz."

"Not a Nets or Knicks fan?"

"No, I grew up watching Jazz games and they are only one of two pro teams in Utah so I naturally became a fan."

"I feel like your dad would be mad you aren't a Nets fan."

"I know he never let me hear the end of it sometimes when I was kid," I grin at the memory. I remember him giving me a lecture of how much better being a Nets fan would be and I guess being a Jazz fan was my first act of rebellion as a kid. I remember telling him 'But daddy I don't live in New York if you took me with you maybe I could be a fan.' He would always shake his head and say 'one day darling, one day.'

"So do you have any snacks, I'm kind of hungry?"

I let out a laugh, "we just ate like 2 hours."

"I know but I eat a lot."

"Yeah, the kitchen is right behind you so help yourself but let me show you around I guess." I walk to be behind the couch there is a small kitchen that could mistaken for a dark hallway I turn on the light and the small kitchen comes into view. "The bathroom is over there." I point to the door next to my bedroom door. "Around that corner is a small reading nook area that leads to the balcony."

"Do you go out there a lot?"

"Yeah, I love it out there is overlooks the river."

"Cool," he says flatly.

I walk back over to the kitchen to grab some snacks and drinks. Mateo walks behind me and watches me for a second. Before he walks to be right next to me his arm brushes against mine. I reach up to grab a bowl to dump some chips in. I am standing on my tippy toes trying to reach before I feel his hand brush mine to grab the bowl on the top shelf I was struggling to grab. I mean I am not short or tall I am average height at 5'6 whereas he is over 6 feet.