Chapter Eleven: Wolfs Bane (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"My mind, my personality, were literally burned out of me. I'm being driven by pure instinct." Peter calmly spoke, dropping Derek and leaning down to retrieve something from the nurse's dress pocket.

"You want forgiveness?" Derek breahtlessly taunted, finally able to get to his feet and punch Peter square in the face. I silently cheered, hoping Derek would manage to get enough strength to take down his uncle. One way or another, we needed to get out of here. I quickly looked away and began rummaging through the reception desk drawers beside me to see if there was anything I could use to my advantage. Mom and the other nurses had to keep something in here, right? A pocketknife? Pepper spray? Nothing. Not even a letter opener.

"I want understanding." Peter stated. As I closed the desk drawer, I could hear a crash. I crawled over and looked to see Derek face down on the ground. This had taken a turn for the worst.

"Do you have any idea what it was like for me during those years? Slowly healing, cell by cell. Even more slowly coming back to consciousness?" Peter asked. Derek spat up blood onto the floor. My chest tightened, taking into account that Peter wouldn't stop this until Derek was on the brink of death. "Yes, becoming the alpha, taking that from Laura, pushed me over the plateau in the healing process. I can't help that." Peter said, tauntingly watch a bloody and beaten Derek unstably get up and make an attempt to punch him in the face. Peter swiftly dodged all his nephews' punches and caught the last one, crushing the bones in Derek's fist with his own hand. Derek kneeled to the floor and cried out in pain.

"I tried to tell you what was happening. I tried to warn you." Peter simply stated before grabbing Derek by his jacket and throwing him through the nurses station window. I gasped, shielding my face as glass flew in every direction possible. I looked back up after the shower of glass had ended to see no sign of Derek standing up. My throat tightened, the thought of him being dead crossing my mind. The room became eerily silent, the hair on the back of my neck standing. There had to be something in the other drawers I could defend myself with. I needed something—anything.

Crawling on all fours, I turned around and all hope quickly abandoned me as Peter was sitting on one of the chairs beside the desks.

"Finally," he lips curled into a devilish smirk, "the other McCall." I swallowed the rock that had formed in my throat. A wave of nausea rolled through me as Peter shook his head disapprovingly. "You didn't think I'd let you out that easy now, did you? You're not giving me enough credit, Hayley." Peter stood up, wrapping a hand tightly around my bicep and dragging me up from the ground. He began forcing me to walk.

"Let me go you psycho." I fought, trying to shake his grip of me. It only got stronger. "My brother wasn't enough?" I spat. We entered a dark examination room where Derek was limply propped up against the cold, metal walls. Peter shoved me to the ground in the corner of the room. I grunted as I hit the floor, my hands taking most of the impact. I eyed over to Derek, seeing how physically and mentally exhausted he looked. If I didn't know better, I thought he was going to pass out right then and there. Peter noticed me staring at Derek with sincere concern.

"Not to ruin any moment, but I was going to wait for dramatic flair, but..." he paused and flicked a double sided table mirror so it spun out of control. I looked at the mirror, wondering what Peter's goal was here. Then my attention came to Peter's face, his skin morphing together and becoming smooth once more. He was healed, as if the fire had never happened. Peter stopped the mirror on a dime and smiled into it.

"When you look this good, why wait?" He happily sighed. His attention finally lifted off himself and spotlighted on Derek. "Derek, you have to give me a chance to explain. After all, we're family."

"You call that family? You call beating your nephew senseless family?" I laughed sarcastically. Peter turned his head over towards me and released a breath. From the corner of my eye, I could see Derek looking over to me in fear that I was going to say something to set Peter off more than he already was. I'd never really seen emotion stricken Derek's face until now, and it was surprising to say the least. "You couldn't just stop with my brother? You had to make our lives a living hell too?" I venomously spat.