5: Ticking

Within awkward silence, the ticking of a clock can be as loud as a bomb. Tiny, tapping explosions as gears grind against one another in diligent work. Like a manicured nail upon a brand new desk as your superior waits on your latest excuse for not filing your reports on time. Taylor silently cursed Marcus for purchasing such a large analog clock. It hung behind her head, waiting for Marcus' return. In the meantime, it would watch with its' Roman numeral face as Taylor attempted to act 'welcoming'.

"It is so good to see you two!" Taylor's voice seemed a higher pitch than usual. Why was that? She couldn't lower it, and she found herself talking with her hands. Jesus.

"Oh, I do so feel the same Sorella." Athenadora was her usual self, clasping Taylor's hands across the kitchen island with a kind smile. She wasn't sure why they had wandered to that particular room. They didn't eat.

"You only just saw her yesterday." When Caius spoke it often sounded like he'd rather be anywhere else. Taylor didn't take that personally. Nor did she think too much about how his face seemed to permanently set into what one might express had they smelled something foul. All Taylor could do was hope she wasn't the thing that stank.

"It's been a minute since we've talked though, Caius! How ya holding up?" For some reason, Taylor decided to address Caius directly, even though she knew he could and would kill her instantly upon one wrong move. She'd already felt that once. Subconsciously she reached for her neck. Rubbing it gingerly as Maurice hissed from his cringing expression behind her.

"I am here." He deadpanned. Taylor lowered her hand.

"Yup!" Taylor agreed. He sure was there.

Silence would've been preferable to that ticking clock.

"How bout we head into the living room, ey? Lounge a bit, you too Corin-unless you're on duty right now. Is she on duty right now?" Taylor asked the room as she made her way towards the living room.

"Yes." Caius answered.

"She is as on duty as ever. Unable to relax. Ironic really." Athenadora softened her husband's snapping tone. Taylor didn't ask for elaboration upon why Corin's inability to relax was ironic. Instead, she turned to the half-lidded woman as she walked.

"Alrighty then. Don't judge the coffee table clutter too harshly ma'am. It's messy but we know where everything is. You know how it goes." Why did Taylor sound like her parents? Why couldn't she lower her tone? Shit.

"I am nonjudgmental Ms.Johnson." Corin assured in a slow voice. Taylor smiled with a nod.

"Well we only have the one couch, but it's very large. You guys want a movie in or something?" Athenadora shook her head.

"I prefer quality conversation, my dear." Athenadora sat gracefully upon the crescent couch just in front of her husband. It was too bad a movie wasn't an option, Taylor could've used the distraction. She sat as well, hands folded in front of her. Wondering why she didn't feel the same drug-like calm she had felt in visits previously.

"Cool, cool." Taylor clicked her tongue, fighting the urge to glance at her phone.

Taylor then waited for Athenadora to start the conversation she wanted. Nothing happened. Taylor opened her mouth to say something, anything to fill the void, but nothing came to mind. She couldn't offer them food, but if she didn't would that be suspicious? Maybe.

"Do either of you want...snacks?" She offered. Behind Athenadora, Caius snorted as if Taylor had just said a joke. His eyes were as red as she had first met him though, Taylor wasn't on the menu for that day. And Athenadora's still shone that strange violet.