(17): FRIEND OR FOE?

Start from the beginning

Emma was standing there at the edge of the table, shock, anger, and hurt written all over her face. Her hand was on the table and she was glaring.

My heart sped up and I looked from her to Joe, who looked puzzled and confused.

"Caspar," she said in a sharp voice, causing me to look at her. "What the fuck is this?"

Emma looked over at Joe with a glare, and I glanced over quickly to see him frozen in his seat, taking his hand away from mine which were still touching and putting it under the table.

"What the what is what?" Joe asked, looking over at me.

I laughed nervously and put my hand on my neck, rubbing it nervously. "Emma," I said, pointing to her. "meet Joe..." I pointed to him. "Joe...meet Emma!"

Emma was giving me a nasty look full of disgust, and Joe was looking at me with wide eyes that were filled with confusion and nervousness.

"Caspar...who is she?"

The way Joe asked it broke my heart. It was a tone of loud calmness and I knew he knew who she was. He knew that I was two timing both of them, and just didn't want it to be true. He wanted to hear me say what I've been doing to him.

Before I could get anything out, though, Emma spoke harshly. "I'm his girlfriend. What the fuck are you, some prostitute?"

I stayed looking at Joe, who was now looking at me in shock. "B-but.."

"But nothing. Did you just force yourself on him, you little fag? You're disgusting. I knew you were a slutty Sugg the moment I saw you. Just like Zoe."

Joe looked at her and then back at me, a broken look on his face and tears in his eyes. "Is she your girlfriend?"

I still wasn't looking at Emma. I didn't want to.

A moment of silence passed before I nodded.

He took a sharp intake of breath before grabbing his books, hands visibly shaking. He slammed them shut and clutched his pen in his fist before taking his book bag and slinging it over his shoulder.

As he started to walk away, head down and obviously crying, I felt myself yelling at him to come back. The words were drowned out by Emma's words, though.

"Now that he's gone - we can live together forever and ever. And be happy."

I shot up in my bed, sweat all over my face and my chest. I groaned and looked at the clock, reading 5:58.

"I'm going to go and wake Caspar up for school early," I heard my mom's muffled voice in the hall, before hearing loud steps.

"Okay," dad's voice replied.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead and laid back down, looking up at the ceiling and trying to ignore my heart beating hard in my chest.

My phone was flashing 'NEW TEXT MESSAGE FROM: EMMA' across the to and I groaned, bringing my head up from the pillow and slamming it back down.

"Caspar, wake up!" Mom said as she opened my door and turned on the lights.

The sudden brightness of my room burned my eyes and I sat up, rubbing my eyes. "Mom, I'm up!" I said out of habit.

She gave a giggle before telling me to get dressed and walked out, shutting the door behind her.

Once she left, I laid back down for a few more moments, wishing one more time that the world could revolve around me.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I was late to school as normal and paddled into Science like a zombie, only to see Marcus in the seat next to Joe and talking to him. The only reason I was surprised, though, was because Joe was laughing and talking to him like he wanted to, not even looking at me when I walked in.