➡ ↔arrival↔➡

The bus ride there was long, longer than I remember I was told it would be, I looked over to the cop holding a gun sat at the front of the bus, he quickly looked at me as I looked away, I leaned my head on the back of the seat looking out of the bus window. I saw holes in the ground? Maybe seven or eight in each area, some heads and bodies began to pop out of the holes I'm the ground shouting either at the bus or across from eachother.

The bus came to a hault nearer the camp, the cop walked over to me and undid my handcuffs so I could get up from the seat, I grabbed my bag, all it really had was my file and the 'female necessities' a couple of shirts and that was it. I neared to the front of the bus giving the driver a death glare as I hopped off.

The cop came behind me and escorted me to a cabin "go on in there Mr sirs waitin' for ya" he said pushing me slightly, I pushed open the door as I was told to take a seat, I followed their instructions.

Before either one of them begin to talk people outside start yelling, I'm guessing they didn't see me coming in.

"Ay yo fresh meat man!"

"Dang man which tent you think he's in?"

"Whats he done to get put out here?"

I could mainly hear. I was thinking over how they kept saying he but the man beginning to speak made me ignore it.

"Madeline brewer?"

He questioned looking at me, already bored I decided to just nod.

"My name is Mr. Sir. Whenever you speak to me, you will call me by my name."

Odd dude.

"Is that clear?"

"Yes Mr. Sir." I answer hoping this will be over soon.

"I ain't gonna keep ya in here long, as soon as your changed your counselor should be 'ere, this ain't a girl scout camp but I'll leave ya to get changed alone'"

He chucked an orange jumpsuit and some black boots at me and walked out warning me too not take long. I got changed quick and left my stuff in a pile whilst opening the door.

"Grab ya stuff your counselor is here for ya" he began speaking again. "Hurry on now" I grabbed my stuff and exited the cabin.

I was greeted by a short man, short yet still taller than me. He seemed happy, like the only happy person at the whole camp.

"Give her some towels, tokens. Set her up"
Mr sir said walking back into his cabin.
The strangely happy man started walking signaling me to walk with him.

"I just want you to know that you may have done some bad things, but that does not make you a bad kid. I respect you, Madeline. Welcome to Camp Green Lake. I'm Dr. Pendanski, your counselor."

He said in one breath, once again I just nodded.

"You'll be in 'D' tent.

D stands for 'diligence.'

that's the mess hall. There's the rec room.
And there's the showers. There's only one knob 'cause there's only one temperature - cold. And that's the Warden's cabin over there. That's the number one rule at Camp Green Lake do not upset the Warden."

Once again I nodded along. A group of three boys walked over too us, "ah here's some of you tent mates" pendanski said to me. "Yo mom whos this chick?" one asked.

"Rex." Pendanski replied back as he pushed me forwards a bit towards the boys. "Madeline, meet rex, Alan and Theodore." Pendanski introduced,
"Hi?" Was all I said feeling out of place.

"Yo, my name is X-Ray.
And that's Squid, that's Armpit.
Him, he's Mom." The darker skinned boy spoke pointing to the other boys.

Pendanski or mom as they call him spoke up again.

"They all have their little nicknames,but I prefer to use the names
their parents gave them, the names society will recognize them by."

'Xray' gave him a sarcastic smile.

"Alan, why don't we
show Madeline her cot?"

"Go ahead squid"

Mom walked off leaving me following the boys, we walked up to a tent and inside of it, there was a shirt boy lying down on one of the beds and eight other beds empty, I assumed three of the beds belonged to the boys and one to me. They walked me over to a bed and said it was mine, I dumped all my stuff on it.

"Now you'll start digging tommorow, each hole five foot deep, five foot in diameter, be careful in the sun, a'ight, keep clear of any animals, none of em are safe around here." Armpit spoke I just nodded back again.

Two other boys walked into the tent. One shorter boy spoke up "Hey, I'm Magnet."

The boy spoke, he sounded Spanish.

"That's Zigzag." He spoke motioning to the taller boy next to him, he had blonde, wild, hair full of dirt, his eyes stared widely at me, ocean blue eyes, pretty. I thought.

"That over there is zero"

Squid said pointing at the smaller boy laying down, he rolled over.

"He don't talk" he said with a slight smirk.