Chapter 11: An Old Friend

ابدأ من البداية

"Aunty's here and she bought desserts!" Tohru announced as she walked towards the dining room and smiled at the Sohmas. Stepping right behind her, Kaede grinned as she waved at the two teens boys before her eyes landed on a familiar face. 

Widening her eyes slightly, Kaede's voice got stuck in her throat as the man shared the same look. However, a different flash of emotions was swirling inside. The gaze was short but it felt like a couple minutes. 

"Kaede." Shigure mumbled underneath his breath as held a look of surprise still on his face.  His expression slowly went back to normal as the two other Sohma's watched Shigure's expression in curiosity. 

"Ah,..."  Kaede whispered softly as she gave Shigure a polite smile before tearing her gaze away from the man.  .   

"Kaede how was work?" Yuki spoke up as she moved her attention to the other boys. She  chuckled and gave a small bow to the Sohmas as Tohru put the snacks in the kitchen

"Busy as usual. Thanks for asking and having me over once again." Kaede began as she sat across from Shigure, putting her coat and purse off to the side, Tohru quickly sitting next to her. 

"Thank you for the food." the group chanted as Shigure would continue to look at Kaede during this moment, the woman feeling the gaze but decided to close her eyes along with Tohru. 

As she opened them, the familiar gaze and eyes stared at her. Letting a small huff out, Shigure smiled at her. 

"I don't know if you remember me, but it's nice seeing a familiar face from old times.  Shigure Sohma." Shigure finally spoke as he gripped his chopsticks and began to pick up food. 

Hearing his introduction, Kaede acted slightly surprised with widened eyes.

"Ah I wondered why your face seemed familiar.  Its nice seeing you again Sohma-san.  Its been a while since we last saw each other.  I didn't expect for you to be the guardian over these boys. I hope you've been well....Oh how forgetful of me.  Kaede Katsunuma, Tohru's aunty." Kaede smiled as usual, the teens sharing the same confused look. 

"Oh just call me Shigure."  The man replied with a smile as the two adults greeted each other, seemingly close yet distant. 

The three teens looked back and forth between the two adults as Kyo addressed the elephant in the room. 

"So you two know each other?!" The orange head yelled as he gripped his chopsticks harshly, staring at the two with wide eyes, much like the other two. 

"You know Shigure, Aunty? I didn't know that!"  Tohru exclaimed in shock, her eyes sparkling for a moment before her mind went to the Sohma secret. She wondered if she knew as well. The other two boys thinking the same thing.     

Kaede smiled and chuckled lightly as she ruffled Tohru's hair.  "Something like that." her response was vague and played off their relationship as almost non existent. 

"We went to the same high school~  We were also classmates." Shigure added as he explained simply, his eyes glinting with certain emotions but kept them hidden underneath his usual  smile.  His smile slightly strained as he took in her words.

With a nod of her head, Kaede smiled and said nothing. Kaede's eyes scanning and reading Shigure's expression. Her lips tugged up a little. 

"Now don't worry about us~ How was school today? Anything interesting? Fun?" Kaede changed the subject smoothly and Tohru beamed with excitement as she told the woman all the things that Uotani and Hanajima talked about, the little things that happened during her day. 

The Sohma's watched their interaction as Kaede listened carefully and nodded attentively. A the little rambles and stories that Tohru told, Kaede smiled and giggled at them all.