Chapter 7: A Knight

Days had turned into weeks. Weeks turned into years and Kaede finally graduated from elementary school and entered middle school according to plan. Kyoko and Katsuya moved far away and lived happily. She heard nothing from the couple and never saw them again. 

Letting out a small sigh, Kaede entered an all girl's school according to her parent's wishes and somehow managed to escape from the previous rumors at her old school.  A part of Kaede wanted to visit the middle school that Kyoko went to but decided against that.  She would leave that in the past, it was only her now.   Luckily, student's treated her kindly and were open to her. As she walked down the halls she greeted some classmates and acquaintances, never once did her eyes shine, never did her smiles meet her eyes.

She was dull on the inside but was hiding it so well with her smiles.

Kaede followed the same routines everyday: go to school, do homework, study, go back home, study, exercise, sleep, and repeat. Perhaps the only time she was able to relax was at after school where she would hang out in a park alone.

Those weeks turned into months and Kaede had blended quite well with the other students. She established herself as the top student with wondrous grades and academic knowledge. Kaede  surprisingly found herself some friends to keep her company. She was moving on in her life, without Kyoko.

Today was just like every other, one without Kyoko. Shaking her head, Kaede smiled and returned to the conversation of her new made friends.

"Nee~ So like I told you guys earlier! The hero was so awesome and handsome! See!" A girl with blonde hair and blue eyes spoke as she showed the cover of her book. On the cover stood a knight dressed in armor with long black hair.

The girl squirmed and cheered as she explained parts of the story, fangirling about her favorite character. Another girl with black hair and brown eyes, rolled her head off to the side. "Yeah yeah Amy. We get it, you love the hero. He's so cool, handsome, awesome. Damn, you even want to marry him." The girl bluntly stated making Amy pout.

"Huh?! You just don't get it! When a girl is in love~" Amy cheered as she then wrapped her arm around Kaede's torso. "What about you Kaede? Don't you think its dreamy?~" the two girls look at the tallest one in the group.

"Love? I don't know...I've never been in love, but I seen someone else fall in love. I think its nice in a way." Kaede softly chuckled and rested her arm around Amy. The blonde girl puffed her cheeks and looked at the black haired girl beside them.

"See, at least Kaede has a nice input, Chizu."

"Yeah~ Anyway forget the hero, check out the demon lord! He's not dreamy but he's cool! Bad ass I'd like to say. Kicking butts and everything." Chizu inputted, she raised her fist and flexed. Her tomboyish side glimmered while Amy gasped in shock.

Watching the two friends argue and bicker, Kaede giggled in amusement. 'Perhaps this won't be so bad.' she thought as the trio found themselves at their respective stops.

"We'll finish this tomorrow!" Amy yelled and Chizu puffed out her chest. Before they split, Amy turned towards Kaede and gave her the book in her hands.

"Read this and tell me what you think! I wanna talk more about this tomorrow! Oh and I have an extra one for you, Chizu!"

"Hah? Why do you carry two copies of that thing?"

"Oh hush! A book lover keeps copies in case she sees the author and with situations like this. Read it!" Amy stated with seriousness before skipping her way down the street, waving the two goodbye.

"Well..It seems we have our homework." Kaede joked and received a scoff from the other girl. But on Chizu's face was amusement.

"Yeah. Let's walk to your park." Chizu stated as the two walked down the street together.