Chapter 9: New Years

"Ah~ Its snowing already." Kaede spoke as she sat with her patient: Hideo Takemori. 

The two of them sat together in the general waiting area watching the snow gently fall. It was finally the day when Hideo was returning home.

That day when Kaede entered Hideo's room, she had changed a part of him and he would be forever grateful. In contrast to his previous thoughts, his parents came into his room shortly after. Some of his friends too. Though it wasn't a surprise seeing some of his friends all beaten up too - though not as bad.  

"So you're leaving Fukushima soon..." Hideo began as he played with the hem of his shirt. 

The boy somehow became docile towards the woman, surprising not only the teachers, family, friends, and others who knew the boy. Though they were quite grateful for this change and for the woman's help. 

"Yes and you'll be leaving the hospital in a bit....I'm glad that you were able to recover." Kaede commented out as she ruffled the boy's hair, earning a small scoff. The teen boy held a small smile on his face and leaned back. 

"Yeah...Thanks for everything doc...really." Hideo softly mumbled to the woman. Kaede turned to him and smiled widely. 

"Of course, that's why I'm here." 

A comfortable silence came over the two. Soon enough Hideo's parents came to pick him up. As Kaede saw them off, she noticed how the boy lingered and was hesitant on leaving. With a smile, his parents pushed him slightly forward and got in the car to wait for him. 

Turning around, Hideo grabbed something from his bag and walked over to Kaede. Quickly handing it out he gave her a keychain. Looking down at it, it had a red thread with a couple beads and at the end was a maple leaf charm.  Holding it gently in her hands, she ruffled the boy's hair. 

"Thanks Hideo, I'll treasure it. Make sure you take it easy and don't give your parents a hard time." Kaede spoke and received a pout

"I get a lecture.." he whined and Kaede laughed merrily. 

"Take good care of yourself and I better not see you here again unless its for a visit. Also if you ever need anything or need guidance on your medicine, you can call me. Or perhaps you may happen to be in Tokyo and somewhere in my area - come say hi at the Tokyo hospital." Kaede gave the boy a hug and wished him well. Before he went in the car, Kaede handed him her business card. 

Watching the car drive away, Kaede smiled and stood outside for a bit more. Enjoying the snow, she heard some foot steps approach. 

"So you packing up and ready to head home?" Kimura questioned as he handed her a warm cup of coffee. 

"Thanks...I think so. The plan is to make it home and spend it with my niece. What about you?" Kaede took the cup and took a sip, while putting the charm in her pocket safely. 

"Yeah. Go home and spend time with the family. I think they might wanna leave and go sightseeing somewhere, so I'll join them. But anyways you have anything special?" Kimura responded as the two went back inside and sat down in the lobby. 

"No, nothing in particular. The father-in-law and his family are going to Hawaii with the extra money they had from the renovations to the house. But I think me and Tohru will just cuddle together and eat food. A simple new years. But we still have a couple more days here and it takes a while to get back home. Hopefully we can get home in time." 

"I hope so too."

__________

"Are you going to your grandfather's for new years? Is Kaede back yet?" Uotani questioned as the three girls walked together after going New Year's shopping.