xiv

NEBRASKA

nothing will be the same ever again.

The aftermath of the massacare had everyone standing in silence as they watched a grieving mother run away from her deceased daughter. Glenn walked up to Venus to kneel next to her, grabbing her hand that caressed her brothers rotting face. The tears continued to flow down her face, hiccups became present as her sobs slowed to a stop, and her eyes stayed on her brothers.

The cries from Beth Greene cease for a moment as she pushes past everyone to get to her mother. They start back up as she pushes a walker off her mothers body and moves her onto her back. Unknowingly, her mother wasn't fully put down and the last chance for the walker to get a snack was taken.

Beth's mother reaches up for her daughter as she growls, chomping her teeth together. Beth screams in fear, trying to pull herself away from her mothers grip on her face. Rick and Shane spring into action as they pull the 17 year old away from the walker. Hershel and Maggie run over to grab Beth away as T-dog slams his foot down on the walkers head. Venus remains seated, every noise around her not registering in her foggy mind. Glenn rushes over to help T-dog put the walker down, knowing that Venus was stuck in her position.

Andrea stabs the walker in the head with the pickaxe Shane has just used to expose the contents of the barn. That's when the Greene family make their way to the farm house. Caspian carries Arrow in his arms as he makes his way towards his siblings, his heart breaking with every step. The family ignores the chaos that Shane is starting once Caspian reaches them.

Caspian sets Arrow down, "Venus, let's go." He spoke softly, avoiding his dead brother in her lap. Venus doesn't respond and keeps staring at her baby brother.

"Venus, come on. You need to get changed." Caspian makes the excuse as he knew she was covered in blood. Arrow sits next to her sister and looks at Jasper. Her cries begin again as she realizes that it's not just a nightmare, and that it's real. Her brother is dead. Caspian finally looks down at his brother and takes a deep breath. His milky eyes were still open and he was staring at the sky with a blank look in his eyes.

Bending down, Caspian puts his hand over his brothers face, closing his eyes to finally let him rest. The trio stay by their brothers body for an hour before anyone brings anything to cover the deceased bodies. Glenn holds the blanket he got from the familys tent that he knew was for Jasper and makes his way towards them. Fighting back any tears he has, he gently pries their hands off Jaspers body, and lays the blanket over him.

Arrow stands up and takes off to their tent, refusing to speak to anyone. "Arrow!" Caspian shouts as he shoots up. He glances down to see Venus still on the ground. Glenn looks at Caspian and nods, making sure he knows that he will watch after his sister. Caspian nods back before taking off after his sister, trusting Glenn to help Venus.

"Venus." Glenn starts off, holding both of her hands.

"Glenn," Venus hiccups, "What do I do now?" She looks up at him. Her eyes were bloodshot and tears were constantly streaming down her face, "What do I do?" Hyperventilating, Venus stares at the blurry figure of Glenn. She felt lost, knowing that she failed one of her three siblings and would never get to hear his voice again. She would never be able to tickle him to cheer him up anymore. She would never be able to see his beautiful smile and the teeth he was so proud of. She wasn't sure if she was strong enough to keep her surviving siblings alive.

"You take it step by step." Glenn helps her stand up, holding her close. "We've got to bury him, we need him to have spot where he can rest and be remembered."