Chapter 5

Two weeks after the Libertate gathering, Felix and I spent everyday convincing people to join our rebellion. Today, we were planning on going to a local marketplace in the kingdom, it was risky, but hopefully worth it. As many people went shopping for their daily necessities like food, clothes, silverware, and jewelry there.

    "Soooo, what's the plan for today?" Felix asked, throwing an apple into the air and catching it as we strolled along the streets in our disguises. "Flyers? Sneaking an article into the newspaper? Leaving random notes for people to find?"

    "Hmm, those are all good ideas, but not many people pay attention to flyers, plus they would get taken down by patrolling guards." I said, looking around. A rainbow of stalls were set up, selling things from jewelry and rare stones to unique weapons. The fastest way to spread news is through gossip, but would that be too risky? 

    "I have an idea."

    "What?" Felix questioned, glancing at me. 

    "It's kind of risky....but we could spread the idea of freedom, no being under the harsh rule of the Warlock King. When the idea starts growing and getting to people's heads, we'll bring up a whisper of rebellion."

    "Then what..?" Felix asked.

    "Then we wait. It won't be long before many know about it, news spreads like wildfire in a village like this."

    "Okay, I can see that..." Felix slowly replied, I could see the gears turning in his head as he pictured the plan. "Where do we start?"

                                                        * * * * *

    We spent the rest of the day walking around going to different stalls and making conversation with the sellers. Starting by greeting them, then we would somehow bring with the subject of how unfair and cruel the Warlock King was. Which most agreed with, making it easy to say stuff like "oh, have you heard about the rebellion?" Prompting them to ask more and for us to share and spread the news.

    "Whew!" Felix sighed dramatically, "Who knew spreading 'gossip' could be so tiring." He said tiredly, leaning his head on my shoulder as we sat on a bench.

    "All we did was walk around and talk to people," I laughed.

    "Still! Walking is tiring." he whined.

    "I guess you're right. Hey, how about we go get some ice cream, I say we deserve it!" I suggested, standing up and reaching out a hand to him.

    "Ok! Let's go!" Felix eagerly said, jumping up and grabbing my hand as he dragged me along.

   We soon arrived in front of an ice cream truck and looked at the flavors. They sold vanilla, mint, pistachio, and lots of other fruit and berry inspired flavors. 

    "What are you going to get?" Felix asked.

    "Easy. I'm gonna get blueberry, it's my favorite." I replied.

    "I think I'm going to try mint."

    We got into line and chatted until we got to the front, where we ordered our flavors. When it was time to pay, Felix and I both pulled out money at the same time, glancing at each other.  

    "Let me pay." Felix quickly said, pulling out the money at lightning speed.

    "Nuh uh." I argued, pulling my own coins out.

    We went back and forth like this for a good minute before the cashier, who was awkwardly witnessing this, interrupted. "Miss, not to be rude. But you should just let your boyfriend pay. I'm sure it'll make him very happy." she gently said. "He seems like a nice young man who cares a lot about his girlfriend and wants to show it through a nice gesture like this."

    Felix and I both froze, turning our heads to look at her, cheeks aflame. And unfortunately for me, Felix recovered first, handing the coins to the young lady, thanking her before taking our ice creams, handing me mine, and gently grabbed my hand to lead me away.

    He led me to a hill where we sat facing the village with our backs to the forest. "So, uh..." he started nervously, taking a small bite of his ice cream. "That was...uhm,"

    "Can we not talk about that?" I asked, "Let's just enjoy our treats and this view."

    "Yes, okay."