Chapter 4

The next day marked the start of a new month, August, which meant that a Libertate gathering would be held at dusk. Libertate was the name of a rebellion of magical beings who wanted to fight against the Warlock King for their freedom, in the hopes that our kind wouldn't have to live in hiding anymore. Aurelia and I's parents were part of this group, so when they died, the leaders took us in and raised us until we were able to fend for ourselves and take care of each other. Tonight, I was planning on bringing Felix with us, since I had an idea that might prove to be useful. I was worried though, as the others might think of this as an act of treachery and try to kill him, or maybe even both of us. But, I'm willing to take that risk and try anyway. Mama didn't raise no pus-

    I went over my plan with both Felix and Aurelia, who were hesitant at first, but agreed to try. We spent the whole day going over the plan and fixing any flaws. We ate an early dinner, and when the sky started turning into a mix of hazy orange and light gray, the three of us set off. I was wearing a sage green cloak with my quiver and bow strapped to my body, Aurelia was wearing a royal blue cloak with had an fold-able scythe strapped to her back, and Felix was wearing his navy blue cloak from the day we captured him, and also we decided to give him his enchanted sword back.

    The three of us reached a large oak tree, I knocked on the bark in a specific pattern, then stepped back as a door appeared and opened, revealing a set of stairs spiraling downwards.

    "After you, madam" I said in a purposely bad accent, bowing to Aurelia and gesturing with my arm. She giggled as she stepped inside the tree, the stairs twisting downwards by themselves.

    "I think. . . you should go before me." Felix said, sounding nervous.

    I nodded, stepping inside and locked eyes with him. Then the stairs started twisting downwards again. When it stopped, I was in a large room. Maps of forests, the Warlock King's kingdom, posters of different magical creatures, and diagrams of different types of weapons and their uses covered the walls. Magical beings filled the room, catching up with each other, Aurelia being among them. When the stairs twisted again and Felix came down. The chatter immediately stopped, all eyes on him as he stepped into the room. Many gripped their weapons or activated their magic. I could tell that he was nervous although he didn't show it. Felix walked next to me, hushed whispers following. The crowd then parted to reveal the leaders of the Liberate; Tracy Malloy (mage), Grayson Hart (wizard), Holly Callisto (fairy), and Wyatt Alastair (shapeshifter).

    "Evelyn, dear, would you mind explaining why you have brought a warrior here?" Holly asked kindly, she was my favorite of the leaders, also the youngest, and always willing to hear others out.

    "Well, for starters. Everyone, this is Felix." I said. I then explained to everyone how Aurelia and I had gotten to know Felix for a few weeks and how he wasn't actually a bad person. I went on to say that I thought maybe we could change peoples mind about how we shouldn't be fighting each other, and that the real enemy is the Warlock King by showing them the bond that a warrior shared with one of us.

    As I went on, I saw more and more people nodding their heads, which gave me hope that the leaders might agree to this. When I finished, there was a long silence as the leaders communicated telepathically. This is always so unnerving, even though I know what they're doing. I thought when one of them side-eyed me. I really want to know what they're talking about...

    "We're willing to try your idea," Wyatt finally said. "But, if it doesn't work, you need to get rid of his memories or kill him, so that our community isn't in danger." he finished.

    I looked at Felix, communicating with our eyes. He nodded slightly, I thought I saw fear, or maybe sadness in his eyes, but when I blinked, it was gone.

    "Okay, we agree with your terms." But even if our plan doesn't work, I won't let you hurt my new bestie. I thought fiercely.

    The rest of the meeting was filled with planning how to get people onto our sides. And at first, everyone was cautious of Felix, giving him wary looks. But after some time, they gradually started to chat with him, and he seemed to be enjoying himself. I myself also caught up with some friends of mine who I hadn't seen in a long time.

    When a magical clock on the wall struck 12:00, people began slowly filtering out. Felix and Aurelia had already gone up, and as I walked over to the stairs, someone called out my name. I turned around and came face-to-face with Wyatt, worry in his amber eyes. I understood why, Wyatt was a good friend of my parents. Ever since they had died, he'd been watching out for Aurelia and I, making sure that we knew how to defend ourselves and that we were doing well.

    "Listen Evelyn, you have to be careful, okay? You still don't know exactly what this warrior is capable of." he said. "For all we know, he could be faking this whole 'bonding/niceness' thing. Please promise me that you'll watch your back, I don't want either of you to get hurt." 

    "I will be, I promise." I reassured the oldest council member, stepping onto the steps and watching as his concerned face disappeared.