"Oh, Okay," I murmured as we continued our travels within the castle.

It didn't take long for us to reach what seemed to be the opposite end of the castle, and I was led down a hallway that was completely encased in gold.

My eyes widened as I took in my surroundings, and I tried not to break free from my group and run towards the walls that were so meticulously engraved with precise detailing and murals, all of which were blanketed in the same beautiful golden hue.

"It's all so pretty, don't you think?" I whispered to Astrid as I moved a bit slower to take in the designs from floor to ceiling.

"Yes, this wing was created by the first Avernus King, Daemos. It's said that he carved some of the gold by hand, he was known to be quite creative."

My eyes brightened at the new information, but I didn't get to pry any further as we approached a pair of ceiling-high double doors that rivalled the size of any that I'd seen in the castle.

I stood in front of it for a moment, taking it all in, before I noticed that none of the women were making a move to go in.

"Is this it?" I asked the lady holding the woven basket. Her brown eyes flashed wide in surprise as I addressed her, and she lowered her gaze to the ground before responding softly.

"Yes, princess."

I drew my brows together at her submissive stance, not feeling too good about being treated like Royalty when I hardly felt like such.

"Are we allowed to go in?" I asked further, resting and dragging a finger along the abstract lines that were carved into the door.

"Of course, Princess. But we may not enter without your permission."

"Oh, sorry." I breathed in slight embarrassment. I didn't realize they were all waiting for me to let them in.

Hesitantly, I pushed the door open and peeked my head inside as if somebody might be in there for some reason.

My shoulders relaxed when I saw the space was empty, and I widened the door, ushering them to join me inside.

The room was as grand as the hallway, seeming to stretch to infinity and following the same gold theme, although softer and slightly muted. The bed was truly fit for a King, with four posts at each corner and curtains held back by golden string.

The rest of the room was filled with crystal lamps and chandeliers and all kinds of decadent furniture.

"All right, Princess, please allow us to help you get ready."

I released a surprised squeak as I was swiftly brought over to another section of the room that had a beautiful dresser and a stool with all kinds of glitters and creams placed on its surface.

The women sat me down, quickly getting to work on my face and hair. I tried to make conversation, starting by asking for the names of the two ladies who I had only met today, but they kept their answers brief, indicating that they were not comfortable with divulging a lot of information.

"Astrid." I started as she leaned in front of me to dab some kind of sparkly product on my cheeks. "Azrael told me that I would need to choose someone to be my um...I forget the name now, but someone to help me do things I think, is the way he phrased it?"

Astrid smiled at my poor description, her eyes locking with mine for a moment before she resumed her task.

"A lady-in-waiting."

"Yes!" I exclaimed, happy that she had identified the title. Although I passed an apologetic glance to the two women behind me, before I was, my face was redirected to face the front by Astrid's nimble fingers.

Avernus || Book 1 ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara