||Possessive||

"Azy, breakfast was wonderful, don't you think?" Rose rambled as we winded down the stone-walled corners of the castle

My jaw ticked at her statement, as I couldn't disagree more.

"I-I think the King is warming up to us. Maybe we could stay, Azy? M-maybe we could be a family—"

"They will never be my family. Understood?"

My tone was sharp and to the point as I paused to spin around and face the shorter girl.

Her eyes had widened, and I caught the slight quiver of her lip at my harshness.

My jaw clenched as I noticed that I had upset her, and I sighed, my hand raising to tug at my strands.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean..." I shook my head and stepped closer to her, but my tensed state only worsened when I took in her wary expression.

"I just don't want you to get your hopes up. My father is a very manipulative man. He's not doing this because he cares about me, he's trying to protect himself and his reputation by controlling the entire narrative."

Rose frowned, her grey eyes dulling as she processed my words. I couldn't help myself as I let my gaze wander over the rest of her face; I was glad that the servant girl had followed my instructions well—my fated looked ethereal.

Her pink lips, although in a pout, looked inviting as a clear gloss accentuated the rosy petals. The rest of her skin looked dewy and fresh, and her scent...Fuck, that scent. She was precious, and it was all the more reason why I had to play this game well. Because that's what this was to him—a game.

"Why would he do that?" The beauty inquired in confusion. The slight tilt of her head alluding to her innocence.

I looked at her for a moment, trying to decide if I should divulge such dark and twisted information to a pure soul and mind. I didn't want to do it; I didn't want to taint my sweetness with the harsh realities of the world, but she would never understand unless she knew.

"Because he killed my mother."

I continued even after her horrified gasp.

"She was his fated but he chose the crown over his own soul. His father would only allow him to rule if he wed a Royal; my mother was of low status—a peasant from the village."

I could tell this information upset her greatly as her eyes grew glossy with tears and a dainty hand rose to cover her mouth. She shook her head and wrapped her arms around my middle, her tiny hands drawing comforting circles in my back.

"I-I'm so sorry Azrael. I-I didn't know. How could he even...I can't even imagine..."

Her choked up state and warm embrace had my stomach tensing at the unusualness of it all. I had never been...comforted before.