Day Forever | Proposal

My mom comes over to cook a big meal. Nothing too fancy but a meal Sunny has been asking for for ages. She didn't get the best meals while she was away. So I decided today was the day. But I didn't pick just any day. Today was a special day.

After long talks with my mom asking what the perfect day to propose to Sunny was. We both came to the conclusion that the day her parents got married would be a perfect day. It was also an excuse to make a big meal.

I knew that we were supposed to act like her old life didn't exist anymore. But we were in the privacy of our own home. I think I'm safe with this one. At least, Sunny thought so because she was ecstatic when I told her the reason behind why tonight.

Sunny helps my mom in the kitchen. It gives me time to hang out with George and Nick without her around. When I enter George's office, him and Nick are inspecting the ring. I smile at how excited they are for this as well. It was like all of us were getting married at this point.

"Shut the door." Nick instructs, so I do. He's right we don't want Sunny to over heat us talking. That would not be good. The entire surprise would be ruined. Then again, I don't think she would care either way.

"How nervous are you?" George asks. His hands reaching out toward me with the ring box in them.

I take the box and stare at the ring. Honestly, I expected to be nervous, but I just wasn't. There wasn't much to be nervous about. I knew she'd say yes. I knew that this was everything we all wanted. Literally, I mean all of us my parents, my siblings, my friends.

"Not at all actually." I smile and close the box, just in case she enters without a knock. I slide the small object into my pocket and direct my attention to my friends.

"I'd be shitting myself if it were me. It's such a big moment. I don't know how you're handling it so well." Nick places his hand against my thigh. "I'm proud of you buddy."

"Thanks Nick." I smile at my best friend. "I really couldn't have done any of this without you guys. So thank you. Really, truly, thank you."

They both shrug like it's no sweat off their backs. I still couldn't believe today was the day. I was really going to ask her to marry me. I feel like I've dreamt so long of this moment. It's never what I thought it would be. But honestly, I'm glad it's not what I planned my whole life. This is better, more special.

As dinner comes closer, Sunny joins us in George's office. She sits on my lap, her head rested on my shoulder as we wait for my mom to let us know it's all officially complete. This had become a normal thing now. The four of us together. Everything was falling back into place perfectly.

"Dinner's ready!" My mom calls from the kitchen.

We all slowly make our way down. No one's in a rush. Well, maybe Sunny might be because she's leaps and bounds in front of us on the way. She had been begging for this meal for awhile. I couldn't fault her.

"It smells so good!" She exclaims as she sits down on what she's claimed as her seat at the table. Girl always get what she wants at the end of the day.

"Thanks to you." My mom commends Sunny for her help in the making of the meal.

My mom stays for dinner as well, but no one else joins us. I felt it was better this way. These were the people Sunny had been closest with over the years. Maybe my little sister joining might have been a good choice, but she's a sassy one, bound to ruin the surprise somehow.

"This is incredible." Sunny says after the first bite. I can't help but just watch her and admire the way the world fascinates her now. She's so over joyous about everything.

"Stop staring and try!" Sunny encourages me to join her. And I follow her command with ease. What she says I do. Always. At least now.

Everyone enjoys the meal. Sunny has a point to why this meal is her favorite. It's incredible. My mom definitely was a great cook. Sunny too. It wasn't all just mother dearest.

I let everything settle into simple conversation before I think of even asking the question. I pull the box from my pocket and flip it open and closed a million times as I listen to everyone speak.

I watch intently. I notice that Nick and George have their eyes glued to me. It's like they're begging me to ask. Their more ready and excited than I am it seems. Don't get me wrong I was so fucking ready, but that's beside the point.

"Am I allowed to break one of our rules tonight?" I look at Sunny. "Given the special occasion and all?"

Sunny hesitates. Her eyes bounce around to all of us. She's contemplating the answer to the question heavily in her mind. She wants to say yes, I can tell by the vocal hesitation, but she's worried. She has all right to be worried. Her life was almost taken from her. Ours wasn't.

"You can say no." I reach out and place my hand on top of hers to comfort her. I don't want her to say yes to something she isn't comfortable with. That would defeat the purpose of today, tonight.

"No, no." She squeezes my hand. "It's a special day, go ahead. No one is around I don't trust fully." She smiles at me softly.

I let her legal born name fall past my lips. Her eyes widen slightly, acknowledging the fact I broke the biggest rule of all. "You know I love you right?"

She nods her head. Seemingly intrigued by what I have to say next. She's leaned in slightly, it's almost like her ears are perked to listen closer. I've got her full attention, exactly how I want it.

I feel myself start to get nervous and any speech I had planned in my mind has completely gone out the window. "You've been my best friend, my other half for as long as I can remember. My memories start where you join them. I don't remember a time where you weren't around." I take a deep breath and squeeze her hand for a bit of comfort and relaxation.

"You know what I'm about to do." I smile at her and get down on one knee. "Apple of my eye, will you—" before I can finish she's placing a kiss to my lips. I don't even have time to fully open the ring box and she's already smothering me in love.

When her lips part mine I have a joke waiting. "I was just going to ask if you could scratch my ass for the rest of my life." I raise my brows at her. She giggles thinking I'm hilarious. "Nothing else. I don't know if that's kiss worthy."

"I wouldn't mind scratching your ass for the rest of our lives honestly." She shrugs. "At least it means I'll have you around for that long."

"Honestly though, will you marry my stupid ass?" I finally hold the ring out for her to see and she reaches out to it to study it closer.

"Of course." She smiles at me and holds her hand out so I can place the ring on her finger. She wanted all the glitz and glam of a proposal in that since. She didn't want to put the ring on herself.

I slide the ring carefully on her finger and she studies it up closer as I wrap my arms around her. I can't believe she is actually now my fiancé. She was going to be my wife. It's finally official. Thank fucking god I wasn't stuck marrying someone else. Thank god she made it through. I don't know what I would do without her.

-----------------------------------------------

bah this is such a cute moment. the way clay just... is clay and makes a joke out of it is my favorite thing. i also feel like he'd actually do that himself. 

anyways, one more chapter and this book and series is finally coming to a close. 

i hope you've all enjoyed!

much love, ashley <3