Chapter 42

Brandon looked on proudly as his daughter walked into school for her last day of the school year. She had recovered almost entirely, though; she could still tire quickly from time to time. He watched as she met up with her friends and went into the school, ready to say goodbye to the seventh grade and hello to a summer tour with her dad.

Brendon had finished the album by the end of February, and it was released in May. He had planned his tour around Abby's school schedule. For the European leg, he was hiring a tutor and bringing Abby along. The tutor would also do double duty as a nanny, keeping an eye on Abby while Brendon was on stage or busy with the press or meet and greets. It was good to know that she would have someone to keep her company while he was working. And Zack would be there, too. However, he'd be busy during the shows.

Abby was excited by the prospect of travelling but still wary and worried about the flights. Brendon reassured her it would be fine, she would be fine.

Brendon's parents had gone back to Las Vegas at the end of January when Abby was doing so much better. Abby texted and spoke with her grandparents frequently. Her and her PopPop had forged such a strong bond, and her Granny was just enamoured with her granddaughter.

Brendon pulled out of the school drop off zone and drove to the familiar medical building he'd been frequenting a little more lately, but not as often as after Sarah died.

"Good morning Brendon," the therapist smiled.

"Good morning," he smiled back. It felt a little strange to him to be at a grief counsellor and smiling.

"So, you leave on tour soon," the therapist said. Brendon nodded.

"Two years ago, if you'd told me I'd be back on tour, I would have probably told you you're crazy because I wasn't planning on still being here. But then I met Abby," he smiled.

"And then you met Abby. How's she doing?"

"She's amazing. She's pretty much completely recovered. She still gets tired easily sometimes, but for the most part, she's doing great. Last day of school today," Brendon smiled.

"Amazing. What happened to the kid who assaulted her?"

Brendon sighed and shook his head.

"He basically got a slap on the wrist. Despite nearly killing my kid. The school expelled him and he was forced to go to anger management and some other counselling. He attends an alternative school which is a live-in school. Like a boarding school, but for troubled kids. I guess he's doing alright. I honestly don't care. We settled with the family and I put the money away for Abby's future."

"I'm sure you wished he'd gotten a harsher punishment, and I do understand that, but you're also coming at it from an emotionally driven perspective, whereas in the legal framework, he really got the harshest they could legally allow. Plus, he's getting treatment, which is good."

Brendon frowned.

"On a logical level, I know and accept that. But as a dad," he paused and smiled. "I like saying that - dad. On an emotional level, I would have loved to see the kid in jail. But again, he's still just a kid."

The therapist nodded. She knew Brendon didn't really wish ill on the boy who'd assaulted Abby. She understood the emotions of parents.

"How's Abby feeling about touring?"

"She's excited. Kala is coming along and she'll be Abby's guardian while I'm working. I've hired a tutor-slash-nanny for the European leg so Abby can come along. She got her passport the other day and was so excited. It was so cute."

The therapist smiled again.

"Brendon, your progress over the past 18 months or so, has been incredible. Abby has definitely been the catalyst in your own recovery. And while I can't discuss what we discuss in our sessions, I can tell you I've seen tremendous growth in her as well."

"So have I," Brendon smiled. "She amazes me every day."

The therapist nodded.

They continued to talk until the hour was up. Brendon thanked the therapist for all her help and she reiterated that she was available by phone or Zoom if either of them needed it while they were away. Brendon thanked her, left the office and drove to another office building. But this time, he was there for a meeting. It was always a busy time right before a tour, but Brendon had made it clear his daughter was his number one priority and he would be leaving to pick her up from school, even if the meeting hadn't ended.

Logistics were being taken care of, sponsors were lined up, the venues were booked, stage and sets designed. Set list would be finalized on Friday and costumes were done. Rehearsals had gone well, and Abby and Brendon were packed.

He couldn't wait to show his daughter what she helped him achieve.

At 2:30, Brendon was outside Abby's school as the final bell rang. Kids came streaming from the school. He saw some of Abby's friends come out and get on school buses, but no Abby. He tried not to worry, but when it came to his daughter, well, he is a dad after all.

Just when he was about to get out of his car and go into the school to find Abby, she came out, a grin on her face, a folder in her hands and something around her neck. Brendon smiled as she ran to his car. He did get out and was leaning against the hood as Abby came running up to him. She launched herself into his arms and hugged him.

"Looks like you had a good last day of school," he smiled at her as he put her down. At 14, she was getting tall.

"The best! Look!" She showed Brendon the medal around her neck. She'd gotten an award for making the Honor Roll. His daughter, who had lost nearly a month of school, who had worked so hard to catch up to her peers and to get back to school, had made the Honor Roll.

"Abby! That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!"

Abby grinned. She never got tired of hearing her dad tell her he was proud of her. No one had ever said it to her before.

He kissed her head and then opened the door for her. She hopped into the passenger seat and waited for Brendon to start the car.

"Excited to leave on tour?" He asked, as they pulled away from the school for the last time that year.

"And a little nervous. But yeah. This summer is going to be amazing!" Abby smiled.

Brendon smiled, too.

They drive towards homes but Brendon wanted to make one quick stop before they got there.

He turned into the cemetery.

"What are we doing here?" Abby asked.

"I want to introduce you to Sarah," Brendon said. He hadn't been to her grave since the funeral. And now, he felt ready to visit her, and bring his daughter to meet his late love.

"Sarah, my beautiful wife, I want you to meet Abby," Brendon said, holding Abby's hand as they stood at the foot of her grave. "Although I think you already know her. I miss you so much, my love."

Abby looked at the grave marker and the flowers on the grave.

"Hi," Abby said to the ground. "Mom."

Brendon smiled, wrapped his arm around Abby and kissed her on the head. Abby put her head on Brendon's shoulder.

They walked a few rows over where Alex and Bruno were buried.

"I miss you guys," Abby said to the double plot. "But Bruno, I stopped being mad at you a long time ago. I'm sorry you were so sad that you wanted to join Alex. But I understand. But I still miss you. The pier isn't the same without you two losers there."

Abby smiled at their mutual joke.

Brendon, his arm still around Abby, led her back to the car. They went home.