Chapter 5

It had been a year since Sarah died.

Brendon had all but disappeared from the public eye. The album he'd been working on remained unfinished. He'd stopped using social media. He didn't stream on Twitch anymore. He didn't play Fortnite anymore. His fans still supported him and his management team would fill him in on the things his fans said and did. Fan mail continued to flow in. From the time Sarah had gone missing, his fans had offered encouragement and support. Condolences and supportive messages and letters came in the aftermath of Sarah's death. They hadn't stopped, though now most letters were asking if Brendon was okay.

Brendon moved through the world like a ghost. He rarely left his house. Friends visited and tried to get him to go out, but Brendon never wanted to. Often, his friends simply came and sat with him. They'd pretend to watch a movie, but Brendon was never focussed on the screen.

He was thin. Painfully and disturbingly thin. He tended to forget to eat unless someone was around to remind him. Any mention of Sarah started him crying and it could be hours before he stopped. His management team insisted he see a grief counsellor and he went. Once a week. Every week. For the past 52 weeks. He didn't feel any better. He didn't miss Sarah any less. He didn't see the reason he needed to keep going on. He wanted to be with his wife.

Literally the only thing keeping him going were Penny Lane and Bogart. He adored his dogs and he would never do anything to them or leave them. Sometimes, when he fed them, he remembered he was supposed to eat, too.

His parents and siblings visited often. None of them recognized this version of Brendon. No one had ever seen him like this for so long.

Something needed to change. Brendon needed a purpose. He needed to get back to music. He needed to get back to living. He needed something or someone who needed him.

No one had any idea just how much his life was about to change.