Chapter 7

Abby opened her eyes. The sun was streaming through the window. Wait. Window? Her basement room didn't have a window.

She sat up and didn't recognize the room. She looked down at herself and saw she was still dressed in the clothes she'd been wearing last night. Nothing felt - off. She had a headache but that didn't seem to be too bad.

She tried to remember what happened last night. How had she wound up here? In this plain white room, with a desk, a wardrobe, a night table with a lamp and clock... was she in the hospital? Was she dead? Had Frank finally done it?

Realizing she had to pee, and also realizing dead people don't usually need to pee, she explored the room and opened one of the doors. She found a washroom. After relieving herself, she looked at herself in the mirror. No new bruises that she could see. She washed her face and saw a piece of paper under a toothbrush and tube of toothpaste.

'Feel free to use these. They're brand new. -Brendon'. Abby brushed her teeth and went back into the bedroom. Her ratty Converse were on the floor beside the bed. It looked like that was the only thing he'd taken off of her. She was even still wearing her jacket.

She saw another note on the bedside table and picked it up to read.

'Good morning. I have no idea what time you'll be awake, but no rush.

I only took your shoes off, I promise. I hope you slept alright.

Come downstairs whenever you're ready. The kitchen is at the bottom of the stairs to the left. I'll probably be in my studio if you get up before me. I don't sleep well so I'm usually up by 6.

Brendon.'

Abby looked at the clock. It was 10:30.

She put her shoes on and carefully opened the bedroom door and looked up and down the hallway. There was a bedroom across the hall from the bathroom in the room she'd slept in. Abby looked in it. It was clearly a guest room. There were a couple more spare rooms and at the end of the hall, what could only be the master bedroom. She opened the door and peered inside, in case Brendon was in there. It looked like no one went in there much. There was dust on the bedside tables, and only a path through the dust from the door to the closet.

"I haven't been able to sleep in there since Sarah died," Brendon's flat voice startled Abby. She hadn't heard him come upstairs.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't mean to scare you. I heard you moving around, so I came up to see if you were okay, and if you were hungry."

Abby was about to say something snarky, but she'd just been caught snooping in this guy's house, so she figured she owed him some decency.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been snooping. It's okay. I can just take off."

"At least let me give you breakfast. Or take you for breakfast. Do you like IHOP? That way you know I haven't like, drugged the food or anything."

"Sure," Abby said. "Okay. IHOP sounds good."

He was right. She didn't trust him not to drug her food. That had happened before.