Chapter 32

"Street rat!"

Abby turned around after someone pushed her in the hallway at school after Thanksgiving break.

"What?" She said, confused. She didn't even know this kid.

"You. You're a street rat. I've seen you begging at the Pier. What the fuck are you doing up here? Trying to rob everyone?"

"What? What are you going on about?" Abby asked. She was confused. She'd been at the school since the start. Where was this coming from?

Kristie was beside Abby.

"What are you talking about?  Abby's not a street kid. She's Brendon Urie's daughter."

"She's nothing but a rotten street rat.  She steals wallets off tourists," the kid said.

"I never!" Abby said.

"You and those two gay guys.  You used to steal from tourists."

Tears filled Abby's eyes. She didn't want to think about Alex and Bruno. And she hated that this kid seemed to have recognized her from her previous life.

"Awwww. Are your fee fees hurt you rotten street rat?  Where are your daddies anyway? Busy fucking each other?"

That did it. Abby launched herself at this kid.

"Abby!" Kristie cried. "Abby! Stop!  He's not worth it!"

Abby was punching the kid in the stomach. He grabbed her shirt, crossed his legs and flipped Abby over. Then he started wailing on her. He was punching her in the arms and face. Kristie saw Abby's arms fall to her side as the kid on top of her kept hitting her, lifting her head and smashing it down on the floor. Abby wasn't moving.

A teacher came flying down the hallway, pulled the kid off Abby, and dragged him to the office. Kristie dropped beside Abby. She wasn't moving. Blood was pouring from her nose and the back of her head.

"Abby! Someone help!" Kristie screamed.

Another teacher came running down the hall.

"What happened?"

"Some kid just started calling her names and she got upset so she defended herself. But then he flipped her over and started punching her and slamming her head on the ground," Kristie explained, crying and holding Abby's hand.

"Go to the office. Have them call 911!  Go!" The teacher shouted at a stunned Kristie. She startled and ran towards the office.

The teacher didn't recognize Abby. She wasn't one of his students. He tried to rouse the student lying on the floor but didn't want to move her too much. She was bleeding from a head wound and a bloody nose. And she wasn't responding. Her breathing didn't sound so good, either.

He picked up his cell phone and called the office.

"Hey, it's Giles Wilson. This kid's got a head injury and her breathing doesn't sound good. Tell EMS to step on it," he said to the secretary.

Kristie led the paramedics to where Abby lay, still unconscious, her breathing now ragged and unsteady. She sounded like she was gasping for air.

The principal had followed Kristie and the paramedics. Kristie had burst into the office shouting, 'Call 911. Some kid just beat up Abby!'

The principal looked at Abby's bloody face and the blood around her head and knew this was bad. Really bad. She pulled out her cell phone.

"Hi, Janet. Call Mr. Urie. Tell him Abby's had an accident and to meet us at the hospital," She then asked the paramedics where they thought they'd be taking Abby. "Janet, tell him LA Children's."

She took Abby's hand as the paramedics loaded her onto the stretcher. They'd placed a collar around her neck and stabilized her head between cushions. They'd placed several gauze pads below her head, but blood was saturating them quickly. 

"Abby, open your eyes, sweetheart," the principal pleaded. Abby did not respond.

Abby's body started to shake violently along the way to the hospital.

"She's having a seizure!" The paramedic called out to his partner, who relayed it to the hospital. The paramedic in the back tried to keep Abby's head stable while her body thrashed on the stretcher. Finally, Abby stopped seizing. She also stopped breathing.

"Starting CPR!" The paramedic called out. He pulled down an AED from a cabinet above Abby's head, cut open her shirt and placed the pads on Abby's chest. He fit a mask over her face and attached a balloon-looking device. The AED told the paramedic to clear, and the machine shocked Abby's thin frame as he did. Her entire body jerked in response to the shock. He resumed using the bag and pumping air into Abby's lungs until the machine said "clear" again.  The device administered another shock. A slow beeping emanated from the machine. Abby's heart was beating, albeit slowly.  But she wasn't breathing still.  The principal didn't know how to explain this to Abby's father.  Even she wasn't clear as to what had happened.

The paramedic looked concerned. He didn't like that Abby wasn't breathing on her own.

As soon as they arrived at the hospital, the paramedics rushed Abby to the back and held the principal in the waiting area. She kept a lookout for Mr. Urie while getting text updates about what had transpired at the school. The video footage showed Abby launching herself at Ben Foster, but it looked like Ben had gotten Abby's attention before she launched herself at him. Kristie, who has been walking with Abby, said something to Ben, but Ben stayed focussed on Abby. She was going to have to talk to both Kristie and Ben.

Her administrative assistant said Ben said that Abby attacked him for no reason. Kristie has said that Ben had called Abby a 'street rat,' and said something about two gay guys Abby had supposedly known, which Kristie said was true. She had known two men who happened to be gay before her father had adopted her. Abby had told her friends that they both had died recently.  And that Abby had been very upset about it.  When Ben had said something about the two men, that was when Abby reacted.

But Ben had a bloody nose and a black eye. Abby wasn't breathing, had had her heart stop and was unconscious. Kristie had said that Ben had repeatedly slammed her head on the floor in the hallway. The video confirmed this.

It didn't help that Ben had at least fifty pounds on Abby.

The educator kept watch, hoping Mr. Urie would arrive soon. She wasn't sure Abby was going to be okay.