Chapter Eleven: Winter

"Hm... hm. I see. So the enhancement magic can only be cast on one target at a time. Moreover, there must be physical contact, otherwise, it wouldn't work..." After reading a few more sentences from the book on his right, Kai moved his gaze to his left where lies two medicine pills.

One is a poisonous pill and the other is the antidote.

Kai picked up the poisonous pill with his left hand protected with a black glove. And shifted his gaze to the yellow pill left on the table. Although it is an antidote, this poison pill requires two to three antidote pills to detoxify. Kai's plan is to enhance the antidote. If the enhancement works, then detoxifying the poison will require only one antidote pill.

The poisonous pill was put down back in its container and Kai took the antidote pill this time. While holding it with the gloved hand, Kai used his other hand's index finger to lightly tap the pill. He cast the enhancement he wanted inside his mind and waited patiently. There were still no indications of it working at all. Like some glowing or something... nothing at all. How unfortunate. But that's why the book says, there's no such thing as a sign of it working.

So Kai just shrugged it off and pulled the cage of the experimental mouse closer. It's not like he could just do it to himself. Since whether the enhancement worked or didn't is unknown, he couldn't risk himself. Although it only takes two or three antidote pills, the numbness given by the poison pill will make the digester lose their senses one by one. Starting from the taste, smell, sight, touch, and hearing. The digester would lose all their senses within one minute and would die a numb death.

It would be bad if he dies from his own creation after all.

Kai opened the cage and grabbed the white mouse with his bare hand while grabbing the poisonous pill with his gloved hand. Kai sighed with pity as he shoved the pill into the mouse's mouth. He concocted the pill so that it would be smaller but still had the same effect.

Since it couldn't reject the pill, the mouse had no other choice but to swallow it. Since it would lose its senses soon, Kai took the antidote pill, and as soon as the mouse loses its sense of touch around the forty seconds mark, Kai would feed it the enhanced antidote. So the counting started inside Kai's head.

He saw the mouse stop struggling in his hands once it reached the forty-second mark. He immediately fed it the antidote pill and made sure it was properly consumed before putting the mice down on the table and waiting for another twenty seconds. The mouse, at first, didn't move from its position where he was placed but after a while, it started to move its feet and move around. There didn't seem to be any signs of losing any senses anymore. 'I guess it worked.' Kai smiled satisfyingly and took out a few berries from his pocket and offered it to the mouse, a token of apology and gratitude.

"Alright, sorry for making you my experimental subject." The mouse seems to have trust issues with whatever he gives now, it seems. Understandable, even mice have instincts. Since the berry resembled the poison pill he fed, the mouse refused to accept it. So Kai had no other choice but to take out a single herb from the containers and offer it instead. Since it didn't look like accept anything from him anytime soon, Kai smiled helplessly and left it alone.

"Alright. Since I was wrong, I'll let you go. I'll go now and let you eat that herb in peace, it restores vitality." he doesn't even know why he's talking to a rodent that does not understand human language... This is probably because of the lack of communication with someone for three months, isn't it?

He didn't know whether to laugh or cry and simply accepted his fate of slowly becoming a madman.

Kai stood up from his seat and left the room, leaving the small white mouse to look at his retreating figure, black eyes gleaming.