Chapter Four: Geniuses

It has been a week since Kai arrived in this world. Yet, his life continued on normally.

It was cold, boring and lonely. All alone in a strange world and in the castle where only he lives, Kai really didn't know what to do.

Kai Zein's only work in this Duchy is to grind medicinal herbs and turn them into medicine pills and even magical pills. Kai could understand how to turn it into medicine pills but not magical pills. So he decided to leave the magical herbs alone and focus on the normal herbs until he learns how to do so.

Yes, it seems that he could really learn how to use magic.

In the castle, there is a large library that looks to have no end. History books, magic books, recipe books, and every book that probably exists in this world are stored there. It took Kai a while to find the books he wanted to read but he eventually found them and brought them to his room for reading. It's normal to read in the library but the eerie feeling of being surrounded by the unknown only gave him goosebumps that didn't allow him to read peacefully.

But then, while carrying the bunch of books in his arms, there was suddenly an empty void beyond the door.

"...???"

Thinking about it, Kai realized that there is actually a formation around the library. It was a common thing frequently mentioned throughout the novel. There were many kinds of formations in this world, offensive, defensive, traps, enhancement, and so on. It seems that this formation doesn't allow those who enter to leave with any of the books.

It's just a thief preventing formation.

But this formation actually doesn't let him leave as he pleases with the books, from the library of his house. 'Was this formation made by Kai Zein? Then if I do something to make the formation recognize me, I would be able to get out.'

Kai Zein's ability as a mage was mediocre and his talent is more on refining magic pills and medicines. For a male lead who does the moving in and out in a BL novel, the readers were exhilarated and unaccustomed to this kind of character.

The BL stereotype is apparently, 'The 'top' is stronger than the 'bottom'.'

With all these top and bottom things, Kai felt a terrible headache as he recalled the 'unnecessary' information he received after scrolling down the comment section of the novel. So far, Kai only had one regret. It was not when he didn't study and binged-read another manhua with over 400 chapters instead, a night before a crucial exam. It was not also when he used up his savings to buy his favorite book that was finally officially translated and published in a physical book, only to have a horrible translation.

It was when he decided to read the comment section of the only BL novel he had read, not knowing that since it was famous, wild, shameless, and explicit readers all gathered in the comment section, speaking things he couldn't apprehend but still mentally traumatized him.

Back to the topic, although his mage capabilities are only mediocre, at the very least, he still has the ability to use magic. And according to his knowledge he got from the novel, using magic on the formation is the easiest way to let the creator control the formation.

So Kai didn't hesitate to raise his hand towards the void. But he paused as he suddenly realized, he doesn't know how to use magic.

This world’s magic is especially complicated. One spell needs four to five lines of chant of the ancient language. This poses a problem for Kai as soon as he realized this.

The original Kai Zein was well-known and regarded as the one who has wisdom and knowledge about everything. After reading and researching for a week, Kai realized that the plot of the novel will start this year, with only a few months left before he has to start interacting with the other characters. If they were to find something odd about him, there’s no doubt that they will start to suspect Kai. After all, how could they prove his innocence?

For years, he had lived in an isolated castle where only he lives. If he practiced dark magic or if he was possessed by an unknown evil magic user, the people from the capital would not hesitate to suspect him once they realize something was off about him.

Slowly, Kai lowered his hand and thought. ‘Ancient language has been taught at the Nobles Academy where Kai Zein rose as a genius. If I can't read or speak that ancient language…’

Now, Kai found another problem.

But pondering on one problem wouldn't solve anything. Kai recalled the information from the novel.

Magic is the mage’s will. The ancient language was only used due to traditions. Even not saying the chants could make magic as long as the user wishes for it. Though, everyone was not aware of it as they prioritize the traditions from ancient times.

Thinking about it, Kai’s problem was immediately solved. He smiled happily and raised his hand yet again, and then, he spoke, “Off.”

Although he was confident, however, Kai’s magic was puny.

A small light emerges from the palm of his hands and shoots towards the void. However, as if it was swallowed whole, the light disappeared with no trace or any effects on the void. Moreover, using magic towards a defensive barrier… Kai obviously didnt think of the consequences.

Unprepared for the formation’s retaliation, Kai was blown away, the books in his hands scattered to the floor while he was groaning in pain and mentally complaining.

‘Stupid, of course a formation made to protect the Grand Library wouldn't be so weak that I would be able to turn it off with my puny magic!’ But still, his complaints vanished almost instantly and was replaced with delight.

“But it worked! Even without using the ancient chants, I was able to use magic.” He looked at his hands happily and smiled brightly. Using magic was not as difficult as he imagined, being able to use it on his first time.

He can’t match up to the great villain’s magic prowess but even that villain, who was considered as a genius mage was not able to create magic on his first time.
Kai was all smiles currently however, the ‘great villain’ he was just thinking right now…

Helix frowned turning around to look at the desolated, hot wasteland of the southernmost kingdom, Verian Kingdom. Where his eyes are looking at was exactly the location of Kaizen Castle. He felt an attack on the barrier of his library, although weak, it was still an attack nevertheless.

‘I casted another formation outside the castle. There’s no way there would be anyone who could enter the castle, moreover enter the library without me noticing…’ His facial expression relaxed slightly and mumbled, “What is he doing…? Using magic against the formation will backfire on him, don't tell me he also forgot the basics of magic formations?” The formation in the library only affects the outsiders without Helix’s permission.

Kai, who has permission could just walk through the void and leave the formation.

But thinking about how Kai had forgotten him, Helix's eyes dimmed. ‘It seems that he also forgot about it.’ So he didn't only forget about Helix, but pretty much everything. In other words, if Helix wouldn't come there to tell Kai about it, he would be pretty much stuck there forever, not knowing he could just ignore the void in front of him and leave.

Looking at his bloodied hands, Helix sighed and used a chantless magic to cleanse his hands.

He has yet to find a cure for Kai’s loss of memory but it seems that he has to go back as soon as possible. So, Helix created a transportation array. A dark blue circle, written in ancient language formed underneath his feet and shone brightly. His figure was covered in light and when the circle and light disappeared, he was gone as well.

All that was left in the wasteland was a desert with bloodied corpses scattered around.

The calamity left and what was left behind was the result of its destructive and cruel incursion.

Author's Note:

life is hard, but this author just started her school winter break!