Chapter Ten: Genius-Not

It has been three months since Kai felt another person's presence in this large mansion. Although he believes to have strong mental and emotional health, loneliness is really quite painful. Other than him, there was no other living person.

Because of this, he was starting to be concerned that he might develop mental problems and depression.

But, Kai remained strong and pulled himself together. If there were no other people, then why not treat the books as living things and befriend them? There are quite a lot in the library after all. Not to mention, the book he was previously reading from his original world turned into reality too, didn't it?

...

'I believe I need to start creating medications for myself.'

It would be seriously concerning if he starts talking to the millions of inanimate objects around him. So Kai closed the book in his hand and stood up. Although he has not advanced a single level for the past three months yet, he has to prioritize his mental health first.

Kai left the library with a medicine book in his hand. During the three months of his time here, he didn't only read magic books. After all, what kind of reader would read only one genre?

History books, medicine books, fairy tales, novels, and even culinary books. So these past three months, Kai more or less understood how this world works, with the addition of his knowledge from the book. He doesn't fear meeting other people and getting their suspicions anymore. Moreover, even if his knowledge is a bit outdated, he could still blame it on the fact that he was isolated for too long.

Kai enters the medicine room with a book in his hand. He placed the book on the table before heading towards the larger cabinet that contained various kinds of different herbs. But he didn't open a container and simply stood in front of it for a long time. There was a thought in his head as he faced the cabinet with a contemplating expression.

'Although there are still a lot of herbs stored in here, with my concocting speed, it is possible that I'll use it all up in two to three months... I have yet to touch the magic herbs since I still can't figure out how to turn them into pills but the normal herbs are...'

Concocting herbal pills is now something Kai habitually does. After months of living in this world, he had already created a lot of pills with various uses using different kinds of herbs. Although he has learned magic, he still doesn't want to discard his profession as a doctor (although he has not graduated and got a job yet). Although, he takes priority in magic rather than medicine now. Since these pills, which surprisingly don't expire in this world, are useful in every situation, Kai decided to concoct them every day with a quota so that he's always prepared.

After a while of thinking, Kai nods his head after coming up with a decision.

He left the room immediately and went outside. Specifically, the center of the castle. In the middle of the castle, there is a space that is on the outside. It is pretty much empty, with only a fountain that doesn't work and dead trees while the snow covered the whole ground.

Standing in the middle of this place, Kai decided to sit on the fountain. He lifted his head and looked at the sky and hummed silently. As usual, although spring is only a few days far, the winter doesn't seem to end in this place, the proof is evident in the dull gray sky Kai is looking at right now. The snow is not falling right now but the cold breeze really makes one doubt whether it's late autumn or late winter.

Even exhaling causes a small fog to form.

This temperature is suited for storing herbs but it's not suited for Kai's plan at all. So, Kai raised his hand and waved it slightly. A simple movement caused an instant change in the surroundings.

The snow stuck on the branches of the dead trees melted and turned into drops of water, rolling from the bark to the ground. The same happened to the snow on the ground. It all melted and the brown dirt was finally exposed after years of being trapped underneath the thick layer of snow. The dirt absorbed the melted snow and became moist. Seeing that the whiteness of the surroundings disappeared, Kai was satisfied.

He was able to create heat, just with an exact temperature for melting the snow with magic, on his first try too.

He was all smiles as he waved his hand yet again, this time, on the ground. The moist soil was plowed in a certain area. It looked like it was ready for planting.

Kai's plan was to grow herbs himself. Moreover, he can also grow vegetables! While preparing his meal, he would always save up the seeds from the vegetables. Now he has a lot of them. As for the herb's seed, he decided to bring his old plan up to action again. Within this week, he plans to go to the nearest place with people, Hirona village. He's always put off his plan to head there because of his fear of the beasts. But now, he's overcome them when he learns magic.

But for now, Kai went to the kitchen to fetch the vegetable seeds he gathered and went back to his new garden. He immediately started working. He didn't use magic since planting is a very delicate matter and something rough and violent as magic will just destroy the quality of what he'll plant. This leaves him no other choice but to do it with his bare hands instead. It's fun and entertaining so Kai has no complaints about this anyway.

After an hour of planting in the small garden, Kai managed to finish filling up the soil. There were even leftovers from his seeds so he stored them away for now. Looking at the garden, Kai had a thought after a while of staring. He crouched down, not afraid of dirtying his white clothes as he deeply and intensely stared at the soil.

'The second level, wasn't it enhancement?' He believed that something like that would be useful to his newly-made garden. Magic is truly convenient. If he could enhance, then Kai will definitely use it for this garden. To improve the quality of the final product is something Kai would like to do. He thought very deeply and after a while, he slightly raised his hand.

"Should I say 'grow up well' or 'grow in a good quality'?" How to cast enhancement magic is something Kai is clueless about.

Of course, this is a difficult bottleneck for ordinary people as well. This is one of the reasons why most people could only cast level one classification magics. Since there was no sign that it worked or didn't work, Kai was hesitant and disappointed. He was so confident a few months ago that he could advance a few levels while Helix was away, but even after three months, there were no signs of improvement. He had knowledge but that's all there is to it.

Application of knowledge is the priority, isn't it?

After being let down by his own skills, Kai stood up and gloomily left. But he can't be bummed out by something like this yet, shouldn't he? It is normal to be unable to do something new for the first time. But because it is normal, Kai might have to take down his self-proclaimed title, 'genius', for a while. It is unfortunate but there's no helping it.

If he can't even put to use what he knows, then can he even be called a genius?

With a sigh, Kai went back to the library to read. Since he can't do anything about his inability to cast the enhancement magic, he might as well bury himself in the books and gain even more knowledge. He'll practice after that.

Author's Note:

Author: I wish I am as dedicated to studying as Kai... But even after three months, still no achievements? I relate! Procrastination is my life!