Chapter Six: To Use and Take Advantage

The smell of lavender entered Kai's nose. It obviously came from none other than the person in front of him, who is cornering him intimidatingly. This specific smell somehow cleared Kai's mind and then, without any hesitation, he answered the question.

"I don't."

It was such a simple answer that Helix's expression didn't change at all. There was only an unnoticeable gleam in his eyes for a moment but Kai didn't get a gust of that as he was thinking that his own response was not enough. So, in worry, he elaborated carefully. "You were extremely rude when I met you at that time, and you also almost made me bald... but I cannot deny that I owe you a lot for saving me that time. You were really demanding but I felt no ill intention from you."

Kai swallowed his saliva, holding his breath back with difficulty the whole time. A trail of sweat rolled down from his head to the pale skin of his neck and onward his clothes.

There is an unspeakable tension forming between the two however it seems that only one side could feel it. Kai's nervousness heightened as the smell of lavender entered his nose yet again. It is truly a pleasing smell.

One more inhale and Kai would be in great trouble.

Thankfully though, Helix, after he heard Kai's answer, finally took a step backward to create a small distance. Kai finally managed to breathe but he was suddenly asked a question. "Ancient language and common language, can you read them?"

Kai raised his head and stared at Helix, whose hand had a book that appeared out of thin air mysteriously. The cover of the book appeared to be old and the corners of the pages had a brownish color, perhaps from aging. Kai's curiosity perked up as he continued to blankly stare at the book. Helix didn't not notice his gaze but he ignored him and urged, "What, why are you not answering? Don't tell me you also forgot about how to understand common language? Or are you just deaf?" He raised an eyebrow and peered at the man with an apparent gaze.

Seeing that the man in front of him showed displeasure, Kai replied hurriedly in order to appease his annoyance. "I can barely read common language... As for the ancient language, it is impossible for me." Since he got the answer he expected, Helix is calm and simply moved his hand to an empty page of the book he was holding before he closed it, not letting Kai get a glimpse of it.

Kai's curiosity is so big but he had an idea of what that book was. It was the Black Codex of the villain, the most well-known item of Helix Vernon in the novel. Seeing it personally gave Kai a sense of accomplishment. After all, it was something Helix Vernon greatly treasured, even the life of his own brother couldn't be equal to the worth of the codex. So, being able to see it himself gave Kai a little bit of excitement.

Kai's gaze was inevitably noticed by Helix. So, he looked back at the golden retriever-like man, wagging his tail with anticipation in front of Helix. It was as if the previous tension from earlier dissipated into nothingness.

Sometimes, this person's innate ability to adapt confuses Helix himself.

He silently sighed to himself and recalled the Kai he remembers from his memories. Truly, although he lost his memories, his whole personality is still the same. Nothing really changed.

Because of this, Helix could be at ease, at least.

Helix's expression turned stiff immediately and he started to speak in a stern voice. "Zein, starting today, I'm going to teach you everything you need to know."

If he was right, the king is supposed to send out an order to Kai to head to the capital in a few months. It was for the sake of Kai's annual report and also for the kingdom's anniversary celebration. As the Duke, although forgotten and ignored, Kai still holds a high position in the kingdom's hierarchy. It is needed to send an invitation to Kai.

Although Helix dislikes and extremely loathes making contact with the royalties and nobilities, if Kai goes there in his current condition, there's no doubt that he would be shredded to pieces and be subjected to the noble's cruel contempt, unfairness, and wickedness. Helix's eyes darkened and showed a glaring purple gleam as he recalled his experiences from his memories.

Helix didn't wait for Kai's response and turned around solemnly. "Take care of your messes on the table. Meet me at the library as soon as you finish."

Like before, a small array formed underneath Helix's feet, and in merely a second later, he disappeared from Kai's line of sight. Kai stood there in a daze and he only recovered after a while. 'He really likes to go away so suddenly.'

But following what Helix had said, Kai cleaned up the room first. He put back the unused herbs in their containers and put them back into the drawers and then cleaned up the equipment he used. Honestly, now that he found out that he is actually inside the body of the male lead, it was unnecessary to do other things like concocting herbal and magic pills. Although it can rack him some money, as a duke, money is something he'll never run out of. So, there's only one reason why he decided to continue doing this. He spent years studying medicine and all of it went to waste the moment he came here.

Still, since he has the knowledge and skills, why shouldn't he make use of it? One more skill is never not useful. Perhaps, he could also help with the development of this world's medical knowledge.

Kai wishes to go home, but at the very least, he wants to help this world even a little bit.

Once the room had been tidied up, he left the room and headed for the library. "Helix Vernon is going to teach me, huh." He mumbled with a blank look on his face. This is truly an unprecedented situation. The male lead and the main antagonist together, it's quite weird.

But Kai has long discarded the roles of 'male lead' and 'villain'.

Helix has been good so far yet, he has done nothing evil to be called a villain.

So, Kai opened the door to the large library with nonchalance and relaxed. To be taught by the famed great dark mage is a huge honor. Something like this could only happen once in a lifetime! So while Helix is willing to teach him, Kai would learn as much as possible from him!

If he goes to the capital and meets other people, he would have no way of knowing how to act in front of them. And just like that, he would fall into the suspicions of others. Although he now wishes to do as he wants, unbound from the curse of the plot, unlike the other novels he'd read where the transmigrated main characters are forced by plot things such as systems.

In this world, he can do whatever he wants. But he can't survive by just that alone. Although following the plot and becoming gay for the main character will result in a safe and happy ending, he felt that there is something wrong with that path. So for now, he has to rely on himself and his knowledge. Of course, on this mn as well, if he can.

The said man put down the book he was reading and lifted his head calmly to meet gaze with Kai. His eyes colored in deep purple peered into Kai's own, he felt as if those eyes, deadly yet so beautiful, could stare through his soul. It was not long before the man spoke up with a serene voice.

"So you're here. Let's start."

Author's Note:

ML: Do you fear me?

MC: Sir, why are you pinning me?