STRONGER

"What're you making?" You questioned, swaying side to side on the balls of your feet. "Alfredo and vegetables. Do you cook often?" Ghost asked, adding the vegetables to the pan and tossing them around to coat them in the herb and butter mixture. You observed his technique and shook your head. "No, I haven't cooked since I j-..." You trailed off, temporarily forgetting you're on a mission and not just chatting with your best friend. In all honesty, cooking hasn't crossed your mind since you've joined the AIU. "...I've been traveling for the last few years." You corrected, hoisting yourself up on the counter beside the stove and sitting on top of it. Ghost gave a hum of acknowledgement, looking over to you. You both stayed silent for a long period of time while the food cooked, feeling comfortable by each other's presence and understood stillness.

Simon took the vegetables off of the pan, setting them on a plate to cool. He picked a piece of zucchini up from the plate, bringing it over to you. "Want a taste?" Ghost asked, holding the vegetable up to your lips. Without another word, you parted your lips and allowed him to drop it into your mouth. "Mmm...That's good." You hummed, smiling. He let out a soft chuckle, returning to his tasks. He grabbed another dish out of the cabinet overhead, walking to the sink and filling it with water. You watched as he worked, noticing how carefully he did everything. It was a full turnaround from the field to domestic life, something you never thought Ghost was capable of he tended to excel in: care. He brought it back to the stove, placing it on the eye and allowing it to boil. "Y/N?"

He inquired, making you snap back into reality. "Yes, Simon?" You answered back, hoping down from the counter and waltzing to his side. "Can you dice some of the chicken for me? Top shelf of the fridge." You nodded, going over to the fridge and taking out the thawed chicken. You brought it over to the cutting board, taking precautions with prep work and beginning the process of cutting. While Ghost stirred noodles around in the boiling pot of water, he watched you carefully from the side. You began to dice the chicken, careful to cut each piece evenly. Suddenly, you felt the presence of the soldier close behind you, and you could feel his breath through the mask curl around your neck. "You're going to lose a finger like that, rookie." Two big arms wrapped around your front, encapsulating your hands with his own. Your heart rate began to increase, feeling Ghost pressed up against your back. He moved your hands into position, cutting a piece to show you a better technique. Why was he so close? "See what I did? Try it." His hands left yours, resting on either side of you on the edge of the counter.

Ghost remained close to you, so close that you could feel the definition of his abs pressed against your back. You shakily took the knife, replicating his technique while simultaneously trying to calm yourself down. "Good girl, I'll leave you to it." He broke away from you, going back to tend to the pasta. Your face flushed at his words, and you kept your head down as you continued dicing the chicken to avoid any further embarrassment. What the fuck was that... any of that? You finished your task, taking the cutting board over to the pan and dropping the chicken in. You both cooked the rest of the time, each keeping to yourselves as the food was prepared. Finally, after tossing the noodles and chicken in the sauce, everything was ready. You fixed a plate, sitting down at the bar stool attached to the island in the center of the kitchen. Watching Simon fix his plate, a revelation came to mind: He was going to have to take his mask off.

Ghost came forward to the island, and you sat anxiously waiting for him. He passed the first chair, then the second, and finally he passed the seat directly beside you. You turned to him and watched as he headed towards the door. "Where are you going?" You asked him, a tinge of disappointment in your tone. Ghost grabbed his jacket with his free hand, throwing it over his shoulder. "You don't think you're seeing my face that easily, do you?" You looked back down to your food, moving the pasta around on the plate with your fork. "Well.. I thought we were close enough." You admitted, sighing. Ghost's expression turned dull, inhaling sharply. "Not even close. We're still on for a game of cards tonight, and actually try this time. No dancing." Your face soured as you watched him swing the door open with his shoulder, leaving you to eat alone.