INTEL

TW: GORE

A/N: I'm so proud of this chapter :')

It was the morning of the mission, hours before the sun even began to rise. The four of you were in the armory getting ready to head out, gearing up in a tired silence. You were sitting on the long bench seat off to the side of the door, lacing your boots and tucking the excess strings inside your boot. Soap was fully dressed in his gear, sporting a black compression t-shirt and a tan-green vest. He wore faded denim jeans and had miscellaneous holsters buckled to his thighs. He came and sat beside you, watching you tie and tuck your laces. You glanced over to him, noticing his appearance. "They let you wear jeans in the field?" You asked, lifting up your other foot on the bench to repeat your process.

He let out a soft laugh, leaning back against the cold cement walls of the room. "Yeah, why wouldn't they? I'm staying on the boat. I mean we are going out to sea; I'll blend right in." You laughed at his remark, standing up after rolling your khaki pants back over your boots. "Right, I forgot you're not coming in with us." You walked over to the gun cabinet, picking up and inspecting a pistol that your holster was fit to hold. You inspected the weapon and holstered it, fixing your vest in the mirror. Mactavish bobbed his head, standing up and striding towards the door. "Got that right, a mission where I can finally be the tech wiz I dreamt of being!" He exclaimed in sarcasm, opening the door and walking out to the hall. "I'll be on the boat messing with Price, see you soon, Y/N." Soap called out before he closed the door behind himself.

You turned over to Ghost and Gaz who were both picking out their weapons and inspecting them for any damage or imperfections. "You guys almost ready?" You chirped, pacing around the armory. Ghost holstered his weapon and adjusted his mask to more comfortably fit around his face. "For someone who's never been in the field before, you sure don't seem nervous." Ghost remarked, grabbing his bag from the lower shelf of the cabinet and draping it over his back. You bit your lip and shrugged your shoulders. "I'm ready to get some dirt on the AIU, what can I say? Plus, I've got the task force's greatest weapon." You cooed, trying to buy your way out of Ghost's inquisitiveness. He raised his brow, glancing over to you. "I'm not your personal bodyguard. I'm not saving your ass if you get in a pinch." He growled, dismissing your compliment.

In reality, you could definitely handle your own. You'd been sent on countless missions before in your six years of service and have never gotten into a situation you couldn't fight your way out of. You scoffed, turning to the door. "I won't get in a pinch; I can handle my own. Thanks for having my back, asshole." You pushed the door open and slammed it behind you, wandering down the hallway. What a pain in the ass, can't even take a joke. You wondered why he was so much nicer at night after a drink and a game of cards. Maybe it was the alcohol. Ghost's remark really soured your mood, and you strolled out of the base's door with a dark cloud fogging your mood. The hill outside led down to the docks where Price and Soap sat bantering (probably arguing).

The two were sitting in one of the airboats with Price piloting. The moon was glazing over the water, lighting up the surface. You made your way down the hill and caught a glimpse of their conversation before they noticed you. "I'm sure she'll do well, Captain. After all, you did think she was good enough to join us." Soap said in a hushed tone, making Price sharply exhale. "I know, Soap. I just worry about her with Ghost, you know how he works. Ever since... you know. He's worked alone." Price whispered back, adjusting himself in the small pilot seat. You furrowed your brows, slowing your pace to listen intently. Before Mactavish could speak further, he caught you out of the corner of his eye and turned his attention to you. "There she is! Y/N, how're you feeling?" He asked, extending his hand to help you in the boat. You politely declined, stepping over the side of the boat and taking a seat in front of Price.