74

^^Lara

Third Person POV

Lara sipped her champagne while watching the scene before her. There were vampires waltzing around and enjoying the ceremony. Zena was officially announced heir and the party was in her honor. Hailey had her arms wrapped around Zena and swayed her from side to side. Lexi had an arm swung around Yeira and made a show of comforting her.

"You must be happy that it's over." Vanya sauntered up to her. "Now, you have no reason to stay."

"Neither does anyone else. You all were brought here because of the potential dangers at your residences, and then required to stay until the announcement of my successor."

"I will say that many are planning their travels after the party."

"When will you leave?" Lara wondered.

"Iris hates it here, so very soon."

"I see." Lara sipped her drink while eyeing her heir.

"Why aren't you happier? Wrong child won?"

"Ya, right." Lara chuckled into her drink. "I'd have preferred if neither won to be honest. I don't agree with pushing this responsibility and life on someone."

"But, if you had to pick-"

"I didn't. That's what led us here."

"True." Vanya sipped her vodka. "Yeira has the background of vampire politics and relations, but she'd simulate Joaquin's rule. Zena has no affiliation and is incredibly empathetic. She'd more mimic Alexandre and he's not popular because of those attributes." She smirked. "Did either express their desire to win?"

"Neither wanted it."

"Hmm... that's interesting." Vanya kept her thoughts to herself.

"You can say it because I suspect as well."

"It's just weird that Yeira was dominating the tasks on the first day. And then cracks the second day. Thought with her former line of work she'd have a better tolerance to silver and more agile in the obstacle course. And then claiming she surrenders. She could have won 5 events, but saying that one word automatically disqualifies you. It makes me wonder if she knew that." Vanya shrugged.

"That was a dig to me since I pissed her and Zena off with my treatment towards them."

"Ahh, the emotionless one? Ya, must be weird when you have an emotionally involved mother." Vanya chuckled. "You'll have to explain the reasoning behind the cold shoulder."

"I know." Lara looked down.

"If she was going to throw the competition, why try in the beginning?"

"I believe she was originally trying to win, so that Zena wouldn't have to be heir. Yeira may have thought she was saving her younger sister. I suspect they communicated and Zena must've stated she'd want to be heir and that's why yeria threw it." Lara observed her daughters.

"Ebenezer knows."

"I know." Lara stared at an angered Ebenezer. "He wanted Yeira because he figured he could manipulate her into doing his deeds."

"He can't do that with Zena."

"No, he cannot." Lara drank the rest of her champagne. 

Vanya silently observed Lara eyeing her daughter. She recognized that Lara was keeping a close eye to make sure Zena was alright. But, that led her into another question based on the person holding onto Zena.

"Lara." Lara spared Vanya a glance. "Ever though Hailey would've been Zena's mate?" 

"Why the thought?" Lara's lips quirked up.

"Just curious. You can see how much Hailey loves and protects Zena, so ever thought?"

"Hmm... not necessarily mate, but..." Lara chuckled to herself. "It would've never happened anyway."

"Why? Hailey wasn't into her? Or the other way around?"

"No, Zena was very much into Hailey before meeting her exes." Lara chuckled to herself. 

"Then, what? Let me in on the joke." Vanya smirked.

"It wouldn't have happened because I silently forbid Hailey from getting intimate with my daughter." Lara snickered. 

"So you think if you didn't..."

"If Zena had never met Naomi, then I think they would've- something may have happened between them." She shrugged. "You never know for sure."

"But, Hailey had feelings?"

"I wouldn't be surprised. Zena tends to bring those feelings out of other people. She's hard not to fall in love with."

"Hailey ever says anything?"

"She wouldn't." Lara shook her head. "I suspect she may have confided in Taemin because he was the closest person she could disclose her thoughts to." Lara paused. "If I could go back in time, I may have approached that situation differently. But then, Acacia would be married to an abusive husband and Hailey would've never met Finn."

"Why were you hesitant with Hailey? It's not like she was your ex and you weren't into her like that."

"I know how Hailey can be and I didn't want her to break my daughter's heart, but Zena's exes took care of that for her." Lara rolled her eyes. "Plus, I thought Hailey would only want to sleep with her. As I observed their interactions more, I realized I was wrong."

"Maybe in another life." Vanya playfully nudged Lara.

"From she was a toddler, she's had a crush on Hailey. Even after being rescued and not remembering others, she remembered Hailey. Even while being with Naomi, she still and a bit of a crush on Hailey. After the breakup, Zena was vulnerable. Hailey could've taken advantage and used Zena's feelings to get with her, but she didn't." Lara gently smiled. "That's when I truly realized that Hailey did everything in Zena's benefit. I'm sure Zena still has a twinge of a crush on Hailey." Lara fondly smiled at Hailey spinning Zena around.

"Who knows... divorce rates are quite high." Vanya smirked.

"Maybe... now, if you'll excuse me, I need to calm my frantic daughter." She smiled and approached Zena. "Let's talk."

Zena nodded and followed Lara to a secluded room. Lara went to apologize, but Zena tightly embraced her. Lara grunted, but hugged her back. Zena cried and expressed how terrified she is. Lara sighed and kissed her daughter's head. Zena, with teary eyes, looked up and asked so many questions.

Zena didn't know how her relationship with acacia would survive. She knew she couldn't bring acacia here like how Amelia wasn't allowed. Zena believed she'd be terrible and doesn't know why she won. Zena stated that yeria would be better. Lara kissed her daughter's cheeks and told her she'd be exceptional.

Lara then assured her that Zena's heir status doesn't mean she has to be leader. Lara promised to not perish in order to avoid Zena being thrust into that position. Zena hugged her mother even tighter and told her not to leave her. The two then had a heart felt conversation about the future.

Zena wanted to marry acacia and then move to the US. She wanted to work in the pharmaceutical company with her grandmother to save lives. Lara smiled the more Zena spoke and promised her that her future would be a reality. Zena rested her head on Lara's shoudler and told her not to be a big meanie again. Lara laughed and apologized at the same time. Zena stated that Lara owed her an endless supply of cannolis. Lara snickered and promised.