Vincent - Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Start from the beginning

"No. Shoo." I shook her hands off.

"Please, just this once! If you had a chance to see your mom for what could be the last time, wouldn't you take it?" My blood froze.

I couldn't remember the last time someone's words struck a chord in me so deep, I wanted to lash out at them. And yet, Genesis had to be the one to do it.

"No," I answered immediately.

She stiffened.

Good. The less she knew, the better. And the faster she stopped bothering me about it, the faster I could leave and forget this conversation ever happened.

I cleared his throat and continued, "Now stop it. I'm not doing it."

"Fine, asshole." She gritted my teeth and scoffed.

Now, my blood was boiling. But for a whole different reason. Who knew one person could interest me and piss me off all at the same time? I was losing my sanity around her. I had to be.

I looped my arm around Genesis' waist as she turned her back to me. Her back hit the wall. I used my other arm to trap her against the wall, and dug my fingers into her pelvic bone. But not to hurt her. If I focused on her face, maybe I could ignore how intimate this all felt and looked.

"Need I remind you who I am? I don't go back on my promises but you've seemed to have forgotten the situation we're in." She flinched but didn't say a word. So, I leaned in closer. "I've let you get away with too much for someone who isn't off the hook yet. And you've been taking my kindness for granted, Genesis. But I won't hesitate to show you what an asshole is really like if that's what you want."

I noticed her throat bob. She clenched her fists at her side. "And need I remind you that you're not the only stubborn asshole around here who knows how to get what they want." I narrowed my eyes.

She stretched on her tip-toes, closing the distance between us. "I know that I'm not entirely off the hook yet. Trust me, I do. However, I'm not afraid to play your games until you find out I'm innocent. And I already told you, that you're going to feel so fucking sorry and apologize when you do find out. I promised you that, didn't I?"

"Looks like we've both got promises to keep then," I said in a flat voice.

"Exactly. My mom wants to see me. She's coming whether you like it or not. I can't control that. Now, what happens from here on, is up to you"—she closed her eyes and inhaled—"you can force me not to show up. You can take my phone away. But what you can't do, is stop her from filing a missing person's report again. I know my mother better than anyone.

"She will do that if she thinks something is wrong. They'll check all around town for me. There's a chance they'll search your mountains too. If you all don't want this place crawling with police, I suggest you drive me to meet my mom tomorrow, and help me get rid of her. That's your call. All you have to do is play the part."

I snarled out a few profanities, then growled out another noise under my breath. I then removed my hand off the wall. We stared at each other for several seconds. My hand was still on her waist, unmoving. She must have noticed too because she squirmed. Finally, I blew out a breath of hot air to calm myself.

"Fine. You win," I said.

"Damn straight I do." She smirked. "We leave in the afternoon."

As I said before—interests me and pisses me off.

* * *

Genesis must have felt me fuming beside her. Every so often, her eyes would linger on me as I waited for her to give me directions to the café her and her mother had agreed to meet up at.