25| Ikigai

2 5

I k i g a i

(n.) a reason for being; the thing that gets you up in the morning.

❋❋❋

I told the stars about you.

– D.J.

❋❋❋

Belle wondered why Adam never asked more questions about her mother.

It was insane that she was even expecting it in the first place – this was their first real date – but as Adam's touch on her shoulder got softer, she almost forgot – almost. They were done with coffee and croissants by the time 9 o'clock came around, but Belle didn't want to go back to her room just yet.

Clearly neither did Adam, because he was the one who flashed her that sunshine smile of his and suggested, "I know we are too old for this, but care to build a fort together?"

That was the last thing Belle expected Adam to ask.

It wasn't that it was weird or anything – but it was just with the childish gleam that shone through his eyes, and the bashfulness that settled on his cheeks, Belle knew she would give him the moon if he asked her to. Belle smiled. "I'd love to," she said quietly, tracing Adam's knuckles. "Your room or mine?"

Adam pondered in thought for a moment. "Mine," he said, tracing Belle's shoulder, "your mannequins would make it inconvenient." A playful smile was on his lips now.

Belle pursed her lips. "You are inconvenient."

Adam let out a chuckle. "Calm down princess, I want to show you some things too." When Belle quirked her eyebrow at that statement, Adam coughed. "Not like that – Jesus Belle – I want to show you some of my things."

Belle gave him a suspicious look, and Adam laughed. He kissed her cheek. "Just trust me, mia bella," he said, and Belle wanted to tell him that every time he called her that, she disintegrated into sunshine. "Come on now, you're getting cold – get along, and I'll clean this up."

Belle shook her head. "I'll help out too," she said quietly, and before she could even get up to grab her cold coffee cup, Adam took her hand in his. He was smiling at her that secret smile of his – one that always made Belle's knees wobble.

"I'll handle it sweetheart," he told her softly, kissing her forehead. "You can go collect all the pillows and bedsheets you can find in my room."

Belle thought for a second, before she slowly nodded her head. "Fair," she said, pursing her lips still. "Don't get used to me listening to you though."

Adam smiled a wonderful smile. "Didn't think of that for a second, mia bella."

Belle felt warmth pool in her middle of her chest. "Alright then," Taking her hand away from Adam felt like pure acid through her, "Just don't take long or I'll fall asleep."

Adam laughed at that. "I'll try my best."

Belle nodded her head, and just as she was about to turn, she went on her tippy toes and left a small kiss to Adam's cheek. She was too embarrassed to look at him, so she quickly turned to the mansion and walked inside.

It was as though liquid sunshine was flowing through her system.

Her entire body was buzzing, and Belle knew for a fact that it wasn't because of the coffee. Her mind was spinning, but god, it felt so beautiful for once. Spinning with thoughts of Adam and the way he smiled; spinning in thoughts of Adam, and the way he would whisper her name – Belle was convinced that this was what insanity felt like, and she hopes it never goes away.