Chapter Twenty Four

I open my eyes. I'm lying on the ground, covered in dust. I'm dirty? I can't for the life of me remember how I got where I am. I rub my eyes, sitting up slowly. I pat down my clothes, examining my surroundings. When I see what's in front of me I gasp and jump back.

The dragon is on the ground in front of me. But it's not moving. Looking closer I can see that there are bloody claw marks covering the creature from the tip of its horns all the way down to its feet. Did I do that? I wonder.

"Merle!" A shout in the distance. It's Audrey. She's running towards me.

"Audrey! I'm here!" I get up and start moving toward her. She hugs me, and I can't help but hug her back.

"Merle, that was amazing!" she exclaims. "You totally kicked that dragon's butt!"

"I did?"

"Yeah!"

I think back to the last thing I remember. I was watching the fight, and then I started trying to use my powers. Oh, that's right. I imagined myself turning into a raven and it happened. But...after that...

"I don't remember anything other than turning into a bird," I tell her.

"Oh? Maybe it's a drawback?" Audrey suggests.

"Maybe." I shrug.

"Audrey, Merle!" It's Zero now, running as fast as he can to get to us. "Are you two okay?" We both nod.

"Where's Ian?" His smile deflates when he sees that we don't know.

"He has to be somewhere nearby," Audrey says, looking around.

"Split up and search?" Zero asks us.

"Split up and search," I repeat. We each take off, going in different directions. Zero goes back into the woods, Audrey goes into the trees opposite him, and I start looking around the clearing.

The scenery is stunning now that I think about it. The blue flowers dotting the forest's edge look pretty in contrast to the green grass. Shafts of sunlight shine down on the dragon, making the flecks of gray and gold in its scales stand out. It's incredible how something can be so peaceful after such a violent battle. I wonder if-

"Zero?"

I stiffen when I hear the voice.

"Ian?" I call into the green.

"Merle! Is that you?" It came from behind me.

"Ian! Yes, it's me!"

"I'M OVER HERE!"

"On my way!" I head in the direction of Ian's voice. It leads me around to the other side of the dragon. There I see him half-trapped by the fallen beast.

"So, you see," he begins. "I may or may not have gotten stuck underneath this thing when you killed it." I scan over the area.
"Did you get hurt at all?"

"I don't think so, I just can't move my legs." He thinks for a moment. "Oh, but I think I sprained my ankle earlier." I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Nothing serious. Nothing that can't be fixed. I attempt to lift the dragon. A stupid idea. I quickly give up.

"Wait here. It won't be too much longer. I'm going to get Zero and Audrey so we can figure something out." I inform the trapped boy.

He sighs. "Don't take too long."

"I promise I won't." I walk back to the edge of the clearing and shout my friends' names. It takes a second for me to hear them shout back, but soon enough we're all gathered around Ian trying to figure out how to rescue him.

"I could try carving out a path with my scythe?" Zero offers.

"Too risky," I say. "I don't want to accidentally hurt Ian in the process."

"That would be great, thanks." Ian quips.

"I could try using my cards to lift it?" Audrey brainstorms.

"Worth a shot."

Placing her hands on the dragon's side, she calls on her cards. They respond, flitting underneath the huge creature.

"Jeez Audrey, how many cards do you have?" Zero asks her.

"I don't know, never tested it out." She says over her shoulder. "I don't want to chance any more than this though." She steps back and points up. Slowly but surely, the dragon starts to lift into the air. A bead of sweat appears on Audrey's forehead. She wipes it away.

Carefully setting it down, she brings her cards back towards her. Too many cards to count.

"Good job Audrey." Zero pats her shoulder. "I don't think my scythe is capable of doing anything like that." She smiles.

"That was awesome!" I add my own praise.

Ian starts limping over to us.

"Thanks, redhead." He grins at her. "I owe you one."

"No, you owe me two for the name-calling."

"My grace only extends so far, tomato." At this, Audrey's face matches her hair.

"You want to say that again, pretty boy?" She raises her fist.

"You called me pretty!" Ian bats his eyelashes. Audrey charges him.

Zero and I laugh as they both chase each other around the clearing; Ian limping and Audrey giggling. I share a glance with Zero and I know he's thinking the same thing as I am. This is just a moment of peace before the next chaos. The calm before the storm.

Word Count: 868

How was everyone's holiday?

-RS <3