Chapter 27

2014

"I don't need to go to the hospital Sam" Steve rolled his eyes when he sat in the helicopter with Sam and Natasha. Cassidy was sitting in Steve's lab, holding onto him. She would peak to Natasha now and again. She hadn't said hey to Cassidy or anything, only looking at her with suspicion.

"We need to find the soldier" Natasha interrupted, Steve looked at her "I know. But for now I just wanna go home with her" He nodded his head down at Cassidy who had tears in her eyes. Her eyes were puffy and her nose red.

Cassidy sniffeld and barried her head in Steve's chest "That girl is coming with me" Fury yelled from the cockpit of the helicopter. "No! She is not. Can't you see she is terrified '' Steve said looking at the back of Fury's head. "What are you gonna do, when 'they' are coming to look for her. Everything is leaked, they aren't afraid to come and find her" Fury said, he was right not that HYDRA was out in the open they weren't going to do it secretly.

"Then I will be ready. I can fight them off and move, I don't care. Bucky left her with me for a reason" Steve responded. Bucky had to remember him by now, why else would he leave his daughter with him.

"I'm just saying, I'm more capable of staying underground than you. I would take care of her. Don't you trust me" Fury said "To be honest I do trust you to be able to stay underground for longer than me, but I won't give her up to you or anyone else" 

"Why? because the soldier left her with you?" Fury questioned. "Yes. I don't wanna break that little trust that I have in him right now." Steve said angrily.

Fury didn't say anything else until they landed at the underground base he hid in. "Fine Rogers. You get to keep her, but if you lose her it's on you" He pointed at him. "I won't lose her, ever" Steve replied, holding onto her when he walked out. "Okay, I'll send you all a text in a few hours" They all nodded and when they were about to leave "Wait!" Cassidy yelled and pushed her away from Steve.

Steve put down Cassidy and she ran over to Natasha and hugged her around her waist "Nat?" She whispered and looked up, Natasha was taken back by the sudden hug from the little girl "Yeah?". "You remember right?" She questioned, she had to know that she remembered her "I think so" Her brows furrowed. She remembered the hard train with the soldier, and flashes of blond hair. She could hear faint giggling. "Yeah I remember you Cassi" Natasha smiled, she couldn't fully remember them but she had some faint memories of them.

Cassidy smiled and hugged her again tighter. Natasha patted her head softly and Cassidy released her. Steve held out his hand for her and Cassidy took it.

When they arrived at his apartment, Steve took out his keys to unlock his door "Welcome home" He placed his keys on a table by the door. "You can look around, I'll change into something else and come back" He gave a gentle smile. He took off his shield and placed it by the door "Just take your shoes and jacked off and lay it over there" He pointed to his shoes and jackets across the hall. Cassidy stood silently but obeyed his wishes and carefully walked over there and took off her dirty damp jacket and boots.

A few minutes later Steve came back and saw her looking at his shoes and jackets "I got you some dry clothes" He held up a big t-shit and a pair of his underwear "It's probably way to big for you but we can find something out until I get you some clothes in your size" Steve laughed awkwardly. Cassidy followed him into the small bathroom. "Come on I'll help you get a shower to get all that dirt out of your hair" Steve helped her out of her clothes and helped her give her a warm shower.

Steve's heart broke when he saw all the scar on her body, every inch of her back was covered in scars that looked like she was whipped. Her arms were covered in small scars probably from needles. She was so skinny that it reminded him of himself before the serum, he needed to make some food for her after the shower.