Chapter 22

2012

Something that the Cornel always dreaded was someone finding out about the new rising of HYDRA. The panic started to rise in him, when he found out a group had started to hack into different classified SHIELD files that could lead it right back to him and the program. He needed them to be eliminated and gone from the face of the earth immediately.

The soldier and the little girl were woken up and shoved into a plane with the address to a hotel and pictures of different men. Most of the pictures were from their time in the military or normal surveillance pictures. Cassidy was confused, she didn't get the time to really 'wake up' from the frozen state. She knew this wasn't planned, the look in her handlers eyes when he handed the file to her papa, the fear and panic rising in him from every second. She knew this was rushed.

She could see life hadn't been kind to their handler, not that it should have. He deserves everything coming his way. He carried around a cane, this time his hair had gone completely white the tired look in his eyes turned into something else. Something Cassidys couldn't understand, he wished to die. But he knew that he couldn't retire, that would only make his death painful and by the hands of his creations.

He wouldn't kill himself, he wasn't that weak or pathetic. The times had changed again, the plane was bigger and whiter, not a spot to be seen. The inside was different, the seats weren't small and dirty, the distance between the wall with weapons and the seats wasn't tight anymore. There was a lot more space, and a bar sat in the back.

This wasn't their plane, it couldn't be.

Cassidy rested her head against her papas chest, he still held the file in his hand. Karpov had let them keep the file to memorize their faces, since some of the photos were grainy.

When they landed a helicopter was waiting for them, the soldier didn't ask or waited. He hopped in with Cassidy on his hip. When he got in the helicopter started to fly. Cassidy couldn't help but look down at the open side. It had begun to get dark, the city lights were shining brightly and the ghus of cold wind made her cheeks go slightly red. The guard opposite of the soldier looked at Cassidy and smiled a little, it reminded him of his daughter back home.

When he looked up the soldier was staring at him, his mask covering the lower part of his face. The guard swallowed and sqeezed the tricker a little on his gun. The soldier looked down at his gun and up at him again, he moved a bit holding on to Cassidy as she looked down at the city below them. The guard caught the shiny metal at his side, the hand gun was right by his metal arm. He knew he wasn't a match against The Winter Soldier himself.

The guards shifted in his seat uncomfortable, it made Cassidy look up by the sudden energy. She frowned and looked at her papa, seeing him staring at him. She signed before she looked down again. Her hair was in a braid that the soldier did back in the plane, it was messy and uneven but it held her hair out of her face.

When they landed, the soldier hopped out and looked around. They were just out of the city, the soldier didn't look back when he started to walk. Cassidy looked over the soldier's shoulder to see the guard lit a cigarette inhaling the smoke before blowing it out. The guard caught her staring as the soldier walked, he gave her a little wave. Cassidy smiled and blushed but gave him a wave back.

She liked him.

The soldier snuck inside the hotel's backdoor that was meant for their deliveries. He walked up the stairs, his heavy boots didn't make a sound and his breathing was calm. They had done this hundreds of times before, but Cassidy is always just as nervous and scared as the first time. The soldier felt her uneasiness, as she hugged herself to him. He squeezed her thigh, and looked at her and gave her a small nod. Cassidy took a deep breath in before releasing it slowly.