Chapter 25

2014

Cassidy and the soldier speeded away in the car from the scene. Cassidy looked back up at the building to see Steve looking over it trying to find them but he quickly gave up and ran down and down the building onto his bike.

The ride was quiet but Cassidy could feel the tension from the soldier, he remembered something. When he looked into the blue eyes of the man, he saw a small skinny boy with a bloody nose.

He tightened the hold on the steering wheel almost to the point of bending it. Cassidy watched as he threw off the mask and smeared all of his makeup around his face. He was frustrated, his eyes were filled with emotion. Something Cassidy rarely saw, she squirmed in her seat. She felt uncomfortable and picked at her nails. Her nails were beyond repair, she always picked at her cuticles until they bled and continued out of anxiety. The nails were almost non existing from years of biting and tortoure. Old dried blood surrounded her nails, it was always there and it never went away.

The soldier made a sharp turn that caused Cassidy to hold on to her seat. They arrived at a mansion, Cassidy had no idea where they were. Cassidy had never been there but the soldier had. It was beautiful, there was a marble statue of a woman in front of the house with green grass. A couple of expensive looking cars were parked in front of the house.

The house was almost built out of glass, there were glass windows everywhere and a very little wood to hold it together.

The soldier parked the car in a rush and ripped the door open and got out. Cassidy jumped out of the car as well "Where are we?" She questioned closing the door behind her quietly "Quite" The soldier yelled. Cassidy flinched, she looked up at him. His eyes were red, it looked like he had been crying but there were no tears. His mouth was in a firm line, his fist was clenched. She was sure if he opened his fist there would be blood.

Cassidy nodded and the soldier stormed towards the house. Cassidy had to run behind him to follow up, she didn't like the feeling coming off of him. She didn't know Steve could have that big of an influence on him.

The soldier needed to see him. He needed to see his handler, they had been too long away. It should only have been a couple of hours but it had been over 8 hours to eliminate him. And when he saw the man with blue eyes, and that shield.

He knew he had seen those eyes before and held that shield a long time ago. He knew it but he wasn't sure. He knew it was a long time ago, but he couldn't trust it.

Maybe it's a test to see if he would be obedient. Maybe they wanted him to fail and put him in the chair again.

The soldier stopped in front of the side door in the backyard. He took a deep breath shutting everything down before he picked the lock and walked inside.

Cassidy knew someone was home. She knew Pierce was home, she could feel him but someone else was as well. But she didn't know who.

When they walked inside, the soldier closed the door and grabbed Cassidy swinging her up onto his hip. His heart was beating out of his chest, when he sat down in the chair and waited. Suddenly the light in the hallway turned on and Pierce walked into the dark kitchen and opened the fridge. He hadn't noticed them until he took the milk out.

The soldier sat perfectly still and Cassidy held onto him tightly watching their new handler intensely with scared eyes. "I'm going to go Mr. Pierce. Do you need anything before I leave?" A woman's voice could be heard from down the hall. "No it's fine Reneta you can go home" Pierce answered looking at the two of them. He smiled at Cassidy making her turn her head hiding herself from him.

"Want some milk?" Cassidy's ear peaked and she turned her head fast and almost jumped out of the soldier's hold trying to get to the glass on the table. But the soldier held her tightly into him, he growled lowly and Cassidy looked up at him. His bright blue eyes were shining with fury in the moonlight. Cassidy sat back again with teary eyes.