2.6

Venus

Venus

We were huddled up catching each other up on our last 24 hours. Hopper, Joyce, and the random guy were going to close the gate, we just had to keep the mind flayer occupied. God I'm going to need a spa day after this. "Venus." Steve spoke as he had pulled me to the side.

"I need to tell you now because it's just dying to burst out of me."

"What is it?" I look up at him with concern now. "I know you're scared, I am to. But hell if we can survive all this shit then maybe it's not that scary." What the hell is he talking about. Is he on fucking drugs right now? "Steve?"

"I know you've been hurt before in your past. But I'm not like whatever duchbag broke your heart. I can't have your past, so I want your future. I'm fucking in love with you Venus Hargrove. I have been since the first time we went out. I fell in love with your passion, and you're drive, and your heart. And don't get me started on your eyes. Because you were right, I didn't need know about your past to know that I liked you. And I'd follow you to the ends of the earth. I love you more than I did on that day and more than I did yesterday."

I hadn't noticed I was crying until I felt they weren't stopping. My heart was beating so fast. "...It was my dad..." I whispered. "What?" Steve spoke looking down at me with these big sad puppy eyes. "The douchebag who broke my heart. It was my dad... I had to grow up having to watch the most important man in my life hit my mother, then when she left my brother. That's all I've known love to look like. And I've spent my whole life with my heart locked in a cage, and then you come along and open it like it's nothing. Being in love is the last thing I know how to do. Especially since I'll always put my brother first." I breathe, getting ahold of myself as I wipe my face. Why is he deciding now to unload all this shit on me.

Couldn't he wait until the world wasn't about to end. "I know. I know." I started reaching out for my hands which I let him take.

"It's complicated and messy. And I'm not sure I completely understand it myself. But I'm willing to figure it out as long as it's with you. And I can promise not to purposely hurt you." "I-..." I could be happy... I deserve to be happy when all this shit is said and done.

"...Okay. But you have to promise to try and make an effort with my brother." "Okay? Yeah! Okay. Whatever you want." "Also if people asked I asked you out." I shrug. "We'll workshop that one." He whispered, as he slowly leaned in and I met him halfway.

And it was the first kiss that was more than a kiss to me. Because it was filled with emotions..., it was filled with love. "Steve! Come on!" Dustin called breaking us up and I could see the question all in his eyes. "You have to go with Dustin, and I need to go with Max. I'll see you later ,ok?" He nodded before he kissed me one last time before he left. "Be careful." He called to me, "You too."

We were getting into Nancy's car to leave, but it wouldn't start. So Jonathan got out to check the engine. The roar of another engine caught our attention. I know that engine. "Go! Go! Back in the mall! Back in the mall! Nancy ushered us as we all scurried back inside. I couldn't think straight.