2.1

Venus

Venus

It was summer and it would have been my first one without the wave. Until my aunt call and invited me to stay a few weeks.

Billy would have came but he hates our cousins and he got a job lifeguarding at the pool, he's getting paid to yell at kids and stare at girls in their bathing suits.

But. Hey, he paid for my plane ticket, so who am I to judge?

My stuckup cousins didn't believe me when I showed them Steve, they drooled and gawked at him but didn't buy he was from Hawkins. We weren't like dating or anything but we weren't just friends either.

We just hung out a lot. It's my fault commitment scares me and what if I tell him my truth and he doesn't see me the same.

Steve and I have gotten really close but I knew he could tell I was holding back. "Venus." "Yeah." Spoke into the phone.

I was laying on my aunt's couch underneath the covers. It was late and every night like I've done since being in California I've hogged the phone to talk to Steve.

"You know you can trust me right?" "So I've been told." "I'm serious. You can. And you can talk to me about anything." I knew what he was hinting. "...Ok." I answer back flatly.

But I'm back Hawkins. And I smell of saltwater and vanilla. And a beautiful golden tan coated my skin. This mall is amazing. But where tell is... there it is. And oh isn't this hilarious.

"Well look what we have here." I laughed as I walked into Soops Ahoy and locked eyes with Steve behind the counter. "Venus." "Well don't you look adorable." I pout. As he comes around the counter and picks me up in a hug.

"I've missed you too, Harrington." I laugh hugging him back. "You uh... you look good." He smiles as he puts me down and steps back a bit to look at me. "Oh I know I look good but can we talk about this uniform."

"Laugh now, but the power of the uniform holds the power to free ice cream." "Really then I'll take a birthday cake cone." I smile and Steve playfully shakes his head at me and walks around to get my ice cream.

"Dustin's in the back. We are currently trying to crack a secret Russian code." "Great, so we've gone from sciencetist to Russians. What's next?" I sight taking my cone from him before walking through the door he pointed me through.

Doing so I see Dustin and some girl, also wearing a Scoops Ahoy uniform. Which she pulls off amazingly might I add. "See now you, you look good in it." I smirk at her. "Dustinnnn, how was camp?" I ask walking up to him.

"Welcome back to you too. Nice tan, It was good. I have a girlfriend." They grow up so fast. "Really oh my gosh. I told you the right girl would come along, you've just had to have patients."

"Yeah and she's freaking awesome." "Well I can't-" "H-hi I'm Robin." Robin makes herself known, she seems nervous. "Right sorry, I'm Venus. Nice to meet you." I smile at her, she was hot. I wouldn't be mad- never mind yes I would. Anyway.

"So fill me in. How evil are we talking with these Russians?" I ask looking between the two as I sat on top of the table that was back here as I licked my ice cream.

"The week is long. The silver cat feeds. When blue meets yellow in the west." Steve, Dustin, Robin and I all spoke as we stared at Robin's whiteboard we translated on. "I mean it just- it just can't be right." Steve sighed.

The mall was closed and we were now leaving. "It's right." Robin defended as Steve locked up the store as we walked. "Honestly, I think it's great news." Dustin nodded.

"How is this great news? So much for being American heroes. It's totally nonsense." Steve scoffed as he caught up with us. "It's not nonsense. It's too specific. It's odviously a code." "What do you mean a code?"

Is all that hairspray getting to his head? How is he lost right now.

"Obviously like a super secret spy code." I speak. "That's a total stretch." "I don't know, is it?" Robin shrugged. "You're buying into this now too?" Steve shook his head. I

like Robin, I can tell she has a big personality, but tries to hide it. It's cute. "Listen, just for kicks, let's entertain the possibility that it is a secret Russian transmission. Why do you think they were gonna say 'Fire the warhead at noon.'?" "Exactly." Dustin agreed with Robin as she ranted.

"And my translation is correct. I know that for sure, so... 'The silver cat feeds.' Why would anyone talk like that unless they're trying to mask the true meaning of their message?" "Exactly."

"And why would anyone mask the true meaning of their true message unless the message was somehow sensitive?" "Exactly." "So I guess that confirms your suspicion." "Evil Russians."

"I can't believe I'm about to agree with this strange child, but, yeah, totally evil Russians." "Ok, so how are we going to go about cracking it?" I ask. "Well, I guess we translate the rest and hopefully a pattern emerges."  Robin shrugs. "A pattern. Right, like maybe 'silver cat' is a meeting place?"

"Or a person." "Or a weapon." It was cute how the two got along. Dustin grew on people. "Hey- I-" Steve pulled me back as we stood in front of one of those toy horses that move when you put money in it. "A quarter. Do you have a quarter." "Uhh, yeah here." I speak rummaging through my pockets and pulling one out and handing it to him.

"Hey, what are you guys doing?" Robin spoke and Dustin turning around and coming back to us. I shrug as Steve bends down a sticks the quarter in the machine.

"Sure you're tall enough for that ride? You need help getting up little Stevie?" Robin teased. Right before Steve shushed her. "Would you two just shut up and listen?" Steve spoke talking about the god awful music that played. Wait a minute.

"That's the-" "Holly shit. The music." Dustin spoke reaching in his backpack to pull out the tape recorder. Pressing play you could hear the same exact music in the background. "I don't understand." Robin spoke.

"The music it's the exact same." I clarify, "Maybe they have horses like this in Russia." "No." I shake my head. " Indiana Flyer, I don't... I don't think so." "This code didn't come from Russia..." I gasp. "It came from here." Steve finishes. A look of disbelief washing over all of our faces.