029

The girl took a big step backwards, afraid that they would touch otherwise

The girl took a big step backwards, afraid that they would touch otherwise. For some reason he had leaned against the door and she was too eager opening it, resulting in him almost falling into her arms.

A loud thunder startled the both of them.

Her eyes were still wide-open.

"Can I come in..?" Jungwon breathlessly managed to stutter out, one of his arm was leaning against the door frame from exhaustion. He had been running the last bit to her house after searching for her everywhere around the neighbourhood.

"How did you find me?" The girl asked him, her voice was laced with disbelief. She would immediately pull him inside afterwards so they would escape the night's coldness.

He was a mess.
Not as much of a mess than she was, but right now he was still trying to catch his breath with messy hair and clothes.

"Ji, I..." He started, finally but slowly regaining his breath as he stared into her eyes, "Just...give me a second to..." Jungwon was still leaning against her door that she attempted to close but he didn't let her.

That's when the boy's gaze softened at her sight.

"Don't." The girl immediately retorted. She hated how her voice came out croaky, as she pushed his hand away, making the gap between them bigger, "Don't look at me like that. You are going to say something weird again. Don't-"

"How are you..?" He asked her, glancing at her bruised lips and her tired eyes with concern.

"I...was right." The girl's voice trailed off, as she swallowed. Her heartbeat fastened. Everything in her body felt warm all of a sudden.

Did it show on her cheeks?

Why did her house that was so cold just a moment ago, turn so much more brighter and vivid just with his presence alone?

She couldn't stand it.

"How did you find me?" She repeated, her voice firm, "It's almost fucking midnight, Jungwon. Do you know how scary it is when you live alone and your doorbell rings in the middle of the night?"

He swiftly ignored her outburst.
"I didn't know you quitted your job at the convenience store." Jungwon smiled softly at her, "I was there. I asked for you. But you quitted."

"Yes. Yes, I did. I quit for good." The firmness in her voice remained, her pain-thriven face was starting to relax, "There's no way I could show up to work like this. In this state-"
Her mind went blank for a second, a familiar wave of relief washing over her. The pills. They were working.