Chapter 37: Snowed In

Start from the beginning

"You should when working in this weather. Keep it," he insisted. After a split-second pause, the stablemaster shrugged before turning toward the interior of the tent.

"Rensa! Two horses! Link's!" he called out. "He gave us a nice tip to take good care of them too!"

Appearing from one of the tent openings was another man with a similar face to that of the stablemaster. He shivered the moment he stepped out into the harsh winds and squinted before his eyes landed on the snow-covered horses.

"Storm and Epona, eh?" he said as he trudged through the snow toward them. "I got 'em from here. They're in good care, trust me."

"I wouldn't have brought them here if I didn't," Link said. "I'll be heading back home now. Stay safe in this, you two."

"You aren't staying here?" the brother asked. "But, look at this snow! How are you—?"

"He said he's got his own ways," the stablemaster said from the counter, waving Link away. With a nod, the short Hylian began to slog his way through the snow down the path in which he came. Worriedly, the brother looked back at the stablemaster, who simply shrugged. "It's Link. I think he'll be alright, as crazy as that boy is. You just worry about getting those horses inside."

Realizing there wasn't much point to try and understand, the brother simply shook his head and took both the newly boarded horses by the reins. As he began to pull them toward the stables, Link made his way further down the path he had just come down. The horse tracks were already starting to fade as the snow quickly filled them back in. The snow now had an easier time sticking to his clothes and skin. He raised his arm, shielding his face from the winds as he pressed forward.

He hadn't lied to the stablemaster about his way home. Resting on his hip was the ancient device, ready to transport him wherever he needed in an aerial river of light. He had grabbed it from the house before guiding Epona and Storm down the mountain. Internally, he wanted nothing more than to disappear from the snow and take shelter, but he couldn't. Not just yet at least. There was something he had to check before that; something that wouldn't stop nagging him in the back of his mind.

He made his way down the path before reaching a fork in the road, one he had passed earlier. He looked up at the signs. One of which pointed down the path he had come from, where the fading tracks followed. The other pointed near a withered bridge that held itself high above a now frozen river, connecting itself to the base of a small mountain range in front of it. It was between those mountains a familiar village sat hidden away. It was the first village Link had been instructed to go to upon his awakening from his century-long rest. This wasn't his destination, though.

Pushing passed the sign, he crossed over the bridge, careful not to fall into the icy waters below before stopping at the other side. With a furrowed, icy brow, he looked over near the side of what used to be the road, now covered in snow. He wasn't there; the traveler that always stood waiting, sometimes there, sometimes not. He could very well be in the desert, where many of the traveler's kind now sat bound. But, he could be the one that had been stalking them not too long ago. Or what Link believed to be currently.

Link stood in place, staring at the spot where the assassin usually stood, unable to tear his gaze away. His eyes grew red against the cold, yet he refused to blink. The feeling boiling in his chest, keeping him warm along with the liquor that now still coursed through his veins. It was more painful than the cold violently brushing against him. It wasn't until half his face was covered in snow—something that reminded him of the dangers around him— did he finally move.

"Zelda..." he mumbled before reaching down. He took the Sheikah Slate from his hip, allowing the screen to brighten before eying the blue icons that littered the map. After one last glance at the assassin's usual guarding place, he tapped one of the icons before disappearing into the dark clouds above.