Chapter 11 - Twisting the Truth

Start from the beginning

Ms Hudson had been standing but once she saw Beth, she sat down, crossed her legs, leaned back, then glared at Beth who was still standing.

The glare was so intense that Beth thought she would break the ice by speaking. "So .... I'll make this very quick and t-"

"Hold it right there, low class girl."

"What?" asked Beth with a forced smile.

"You heard me the first time. What else should I call you after what you're trying to do? I loathe your kind, who use such opportunities to make quick money."

As Beth was degraded, her confidence faded and she faced the floor as she fiddled with her fingers. Ms Hudson's tone was unwelcoming and every word she said further made her feel like she was nothing.

Once Ms Hudson let it all out, she sighed, then took out a bundle of cash and threw it right at Beth's feet. "Start talking."

As soon as Beth saw the bundle cash at her feet, her face brightened up and she grew wide-eyed. She crouched down to pick up the money as she spoke to Ms Hudson.

"Olivia's my friend and she confided in me and told me that from the time she was married to Ethan, Pete was hitting on her and she finally accepted his advances. They've been seeing each other behind Ethan's back and continue to do so. Even as I speak to you, they still meet in private. This could mean that Pete might be the father of her baby but she mentioned Ethan because of all his wealth."

Ms Hudson sank her fingers into the pillow next to her as she glared at the wall, as if she could see Olivia.

"That good for nothing." She went on to belittle Olivia, as she always did, but stopped and glared at Beth when she realized something. "Why did you come to me with this information? You could've easily told Ethan about this."

"Well...he wouldn't have paid me, but I was certain you would. I've heard all about you from Olivia and how you feel towards her. You can choose to believe me or not. The bottom line is that she's possibly having Pete's child but won't let go of the benefits that come from Ethan."

"If I find out this is all just some nonsense, y-"

"It's the honest truth!" said Beth, clutching her bag as Ms Hudson's tone intimidated her. "Pete visits Olivia so many times and has never been caught by Ethan."

Beth did the best she could to describe the affair between Pete and Olivia and by the time she was saying her last words, Ms Hudson was fuming even more as she mentioned that she would get to the bottom of it and expose the two of them.

"Do you need some help?" asked Beth, her anticipation growing as she thought of how much money she could make once again. "I could g-"

"Get out."

"What?"

"I said get out, you rat!"

Ms Hudson's rage was already being unleashed on Beth, who flinched at the yelling and rushed out.

Once Ms Hudson was alone, she paced around as she thought of what to do and it didn't take long to come to a decision on how to expose the truth. She decided to hire a private investigator.

~

Olivia had just finished moving into the apartment Ethan had given her and back at her place, she had made sure to pack all she wouldn't carry with her neatly.

She had carried her laptop to the new apartment and kept it in the bedroom she chose. She turned it on and stretched her neck a few times, as if to prepare herself for the task ahead. She thought she would advertise her house to earn some money, despite how little she would make. She didn't want to depend on Ethan and wished to make her own. She might not have had a job, but she had plans of finding ways to financially support herself and she thought she would start from there.

~

While Olivia was setting up her house for rent, Ethan was on his way to see her and had his eyes on the road ahead with both hands on the steering wheel.

Right when he took a turn to drive along another road, which had no cars driving by, he spotted Martha and that made him hold on tightly to the steering wheel. He drove faster to get further away from her, but clenched his jaw as he stepped on the brake pedal and leaned back in his seat, almost throwing his head back with so much force then looked back at Martha, who was just sitting there with her walking stick.

The thought of how infuriating it was to burn his custom made suit was enough for him to reverse until he was close enough to where she was.

He stepped out of the car and shut the door so loudly that Martha flinched and toppled over to the front.

When he was close enough, he quickly took a few steps back as he covered his nose to block Martha's scent, which wafted its way to him.

"You..." he said while still covering his nose. "Do you have any idea how much I loved that suit?"

"Is...is someone talking to me?" asked Martha with a giggle as she rocked back and forth.

"Of course I'm talking to you. You're blind, not deaf, so you should know that I'm talking to you. I can't believe such filth laid its hands on me."

"Hey....hey... I remember you. You yelled at me last time and said the same words. Why are you repeating them today?"

"The nerve you have to ...... Ugh!" Ethan grunted.

"What's the matter? Do you want something from me?"

"What could I possibly want from you? Absolutely nothing!"

"Then .... then why are you here?"

Ethan had the intention of responding right away, but words failed him when he came to the realization that he had no business being there. With nothing to say, he turned around to head back to his car.

When Martha heard Ethan's footsteps retreat, she spoke with desperation. "My son!"

"What is it?" Ethan yelled as he turned around and instantly furrowed his eyebrows, shocking himself that he responded to her.

Martha's expression turned pitiful as she spoke through her chapped lips. "I've had nothing to eat since yesterday."

"And if you don't do something about it, it'll be two days," he said, then headed to his car.

Right before he could start the engine, he sighed deeply as he looked back at Martha and remembered how she mentioned she had nothing to eat. He watched her pitiful state for a moment, then scoffed and started the engine as he glanced at her one last time and spoke to himself.

"Son? Only my mother has the right to call me that."