Chapter 9 - A Mess

Start from the beginning

As soon as Olivia was out of sight, Beth's bright smile turned to one filled with malice as she leaned back in her seat.

Once she reached her destination, she took her phone and made a video call to some friends, who were also former classmates of Olivia.

"You should've been there to witness how pathetic Olivia looked," she said to them. "Not even an ounce of that billionaire status rubbed off on her. Poor girl! Looks like I'm paying for our next trip, right after I get some money out of Ms Hudson! There's no way she'll ignore what I have for her."

~

It was evening and Mr Philip had just walked into a fancy restaurant where Ms Hudson was waiting and he was there because of the news he heard from Natalie about how Ethan had treated her. He thought it was necessary to speak to Ms Hudson so he had demanded to meet her but never mentioned the reason for wanting to meet her.

She had agreed to meet him even if she needed to travel in a few hours. She only needed to wait for her private jet to be ready.

As he sat down with her, he leaned back in his seat and folded his arms as he expressed his disappointment in how things were with the pregnancy news.

Believing he had the upper hand, he reminded her of how important the partnership was to her since it was the only way she could have control over a wide region.

He threatened to put an end to their partnership if Natalie would experience further neglect from Ethan. He demanded that Ethan change his ways and make Natalie a priority because for his daughter, the wedding was something she looked forward to, as well as spending the rest of her days by Ethan's side.

The more he warned Ms Hudson, the more he pointed at her with an expression that only intensified every time he felt he was in control of the situation.

Ms Hudson had been silently listening to him with a poker face and once she had enough, she shook her head with a chuckle, then leaned back in her seat as she raised her chin to make her seem as if she was looking down at Mr Philip as she spoke to him.

She pointed out how bold it was of him to threaten her over such a situation, to which he replied with the demand of how Natalie needed to be treated right.

Ms Hudson then shut him up mid-sentence to remind him that between the two of them, she was the one in charge. She might have wanted to take full control of a whole region but it didn't mean he could order her around and threaten her. She then warned him that it should be the last time he would have the audacity to speak to her the way he did or she would change her mind and end the partnership herself.

The moment he heard that, he inched forward, rested his elbows on the table and brought his hands together as he begged her not to end the partnership because he needed it to be a success.

Not wanting to be there any longer or at least wait until he was done begging her, she took her handbag and walked past him but before leaving, looked over her shoulder and said, "Whenever you're in my presence, know your place."

~

A few days after Olivia and Ethan found out they were expecting a baby, they weren't in communication with each other. Olivia didn't feel the need to talk to him and assumed he was busy with the wedding preparations. She never got to ask when the wedding would take place so she always assumed it would happen any day. She had even thought that he had forgotten about her.

When she had first moved into her own house to enjoy her independence, it all seemed to start out perfectly because she had some money in her bank account, but along the way, it didn't get any easier since her money was running out at a faster rate than she imagined. Once her financial situation finally seemed to not get any better, she had stopped making efforts to clean up the way she did before.

One afternoon, her hair was still a mess and she hadn't brushed it for a week. It didn't make a difference to her whether it was tangled or not. All she did was eat and think about what she would do next to support herself financially.

On that same day, she heard the doorbell ring and didn't bother to get up, but when she thought it could be Beth, she changed her mind. Having some company would have made her think less of her worries.

When she opened the door, she rolled her as soon as she realized it was Ethan at the door.

A long silence was all they could both hear as they stared at each other. She particularly stared at his face and he looked at her from head to toe in a scornful way. She didn't even bother to ask what was going on in his mind so she turned around to walk back inside and he let himself in.

With his hands shoved in his pockets, he stood still for a moment to observe her and it was at that moment that she glared at him.

"There are so many things to stare at in this house apart from me," she said.

"First of all, there isn't much to look at and secondly, you stand out the most."

She shrugged, saying she didn't care what he thought of the way she looked.

He got closer to her as he fixed his neck tie and looked at her with a creased forehead.

"When you were still my wife, you made heads turn with everything you wore. Don't tell me the divorce took away the need to look that attractive."

"If you're here to mock me then you might as well leave."

"Now I'm thinking you're not even taking care of yourself in other aspects." He pointed a finger at her forehead and spoke with his head tilted. "If you don't want to take care of yourself, then don't, but that's after you give birth to my baby."

"You can't tell me what to do."

"As the one who's the father of that baby, I most definitely can. That's a billionaire baby and you'll never have another one. Let this be the last time I ever see you like this."

"I'm not your wife for you to talk to me like this. Take that attitude to your current wife."

"I don't have one."

"Oh... so the wedding hasn't yet taken place?" she asked in a soft tone.

"No."

"I see."

There was another long silence as they stared at each other until he stepped away from her, made himself comfortable on the sofa and crossed his legs as he told her that he didn't want her living in such a run down place. He even asked the last time she had cleaned up.

She looked around and shrugged as she replied that there was nothing rundown about her house and it was perfectly fine.

He then pointed out that the baby in her womb was a Hudson, a billionaire's baby and deserved the best, not the excuse of a house she called her home.

"You might see it that way but this is still my home!" she yelled as she folded her arms.

"I've decided that you're moving out of this place and into one of my apartments."

She scoffed as she approached him to stand in front of him and even giggled but when she noticed that he had been staring at her with a blank face, she realized he was serious about it.

"It's wrong of you to make such a decision on my behalf," she said. "I'm doing just fine."

"Take a good look at yourself and say that again," he said, raising the side of his lips.