Christmas Special

Start from the beginning

Task 1: Ruby's Gift

After several hours of walking around Vale and helping the other guys pick up their gifts (Sincline was pretty sure he didn't want to know how or why Mercury got Emerald a wallet), Sincline found himself walking alone down the street, trying his best to figure out what exactly Ruby would enjoy.

"Well, she likes weapons... but she already has Crescent Rose," Sincline mused, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "So that wouldn't work... what else could I get her?" Maybe a dessert... according to Yang, she likes sweets. He nodded, liking the idea, and warped away to carry out his self-issued mission.

Beacon Kitchen

"Alright... I know I'm baking Ruby a cake, but what kind?" Sincline mused, flipping through a cookbook he had found in an open cabinet. "Yang said she likes chocolate chips... maybe a chocolate cake?" He nodded. "Yeah... that could work.... Aaand I'm talking to myself again."

Sighing, he set down the book and began searching the kitchen for the ingredients, his eyes darting from cabinet to cabinet. It's just chocolate cake... it shouldn't be that hard to make, right?

Timeskip

"This... might be harder than I thought," Sincline muttered, eyeing the massive collection of ingredients he had laid out on the table while holding the cookbook in his free hand. "Alright... first things first: heat up oven."

Setting the cookbook down, he walked over to the oven and turned the knob like he was supposed to, setting it to 350 degrees. So far so good. "Alright, oven, don't start any trouble, and there won't be any trouble," Sincline muttered. "...and I'm talking to an oven." Sighing, he looked up and tilted his head at the many buttons on the back of the dashboard. "I wonder what these do." Maybe it'll make the cake taste better.

5 Minutes Later

"Quiznak! Quiznak! Quiznak!" Sincline cursed as he tried desperately to put out the flames. The oven had already burnt down, and most of the ingredients had already been incinerated. What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?! His scimitars wouldn't work, and his Ion cannons would probably make the problem even worse, so what was he supposed to—?

Spotting a red cylinder and remembering Mercury's Christmas gift to Cinder, Sincline grabbed the fire extinguisher and, quickly scanning the instructions, pulled the trigger. The extinguisher bucked, and he was thrown backward into a wall while a spray of white gushed over the flames, dousing them.

"...maybe I should try something else," Sincline decided, staring at the smoking remains of the oven and the ashes that had once been ingredients. At least I know why Mercury wanted to get Cinder a fire extinguisher. Wait... didn't Yang say Ruby enjoyed cookies?

Timeskip

"Okay, so I got the milk, chocolate chips, flour, eggs... I'm pretty sure that's everything," Sincline muttered as he arranged on the ingredients on the table. "I've got the bowl, too, so... I should be good to go."

Satisfied that he was ready to begin, Sincline summoned his tail and slipped it beneath the instructions, lifting it up. "Okaaay... first step: eggs." He picked one up and tapped it against the bowl... but it didn't break. He frowned. That should have worked. He tried it again, this time putting more force into it... but it didn't even crack. What the Quiznak?

Part of him was tempted to just throw it in the bowl as hard as he could... but then he had a better idea. Extending a hand, he summoned a scimitar and tossed the egg into the air. His blade flashed, and the egg split down the middle. Quickly dispersing his weapon, Sincline caught both halves and dumped the contents inside the bowl.