4: A Narrow Escape

I blink into the darkness.

Why are there no lights on? Did they go to the other change room? Is this part of their weird game?

A few steps away from the door and I quickly learn it is one that swings shut on its own. My body instinctively jerks back towards it before there is the resounding thunk as the light disappears.

Greatnow I might be the one getting stabbed. My mind spirals from there until I'm not sure whether I'm trembling from fear or sadness.

I think numbly of my father. Would he even care if I do get stabbed?

There is the sound of footsteps and I swing around to face the centre of the gym. It is darkness only lit by the pale moonlight coming from narrow windows above the folded-up bleachers on either side of the space.

"H-hello?"

No response comes. Maybe they think I'm a teacher and they'll get into trouble?

I should say something else. Anything else. But for some reason my voice feels trapped in my throat. 

Why did I follow them in here and get into this mess? I'm starting to regret it as I shuffle closer to the centre of the room.

Wetting my lips I open my mouth to try and speak again, not even sure what to say, but am halted by a strange light.

Not from overhead or an open door from either changing room or the hallway entrances. No.

I light coming from the floor.

Is this some new technology for these games? I don't remember Jordan talking about anything like this.

The golden light is beautiful. Alluring. I move towards it with my hand reaching for the emanating rays.

On closer inspection, there is something drawn on the floor in the centre of the light, although it is obscured by it. I lean forwards to get a better look.

"Now!" someone shouts and there is a flurry of stomping feet from all directions.

"What—" I feel like I've been forcibly snapped awake from a dream.

It takes a moment to recognize Tristan and the others as they come close enough to the light for their faces to be visible. Their features are caste in sharply contrasting planes of light and shadow.

I frown down at my feet and realize that I'm standing directly in the centre of the circle.

"Why does it look like the new girl?" Ryker is pacing closer to the light. The exaggerated angles of his face giving an added layer of menace to his glare.

 The exaggerated angles of his face giving an added layer of menace to his glare

"Who?" Selene asks. The blade thrust forward in her hand droops subtly.

Tristan walks forward until he is a step away from me on the other side of the circle.