8: The Invite

"What was that about yesterday?" Zoey is standing over me with her arms crossed.

I get up from my locker and slowly blink between her and the busy hallway.

"Since when are you and Selene buddy buddy?"

Okay, I don't appreciate her tone.

Folding my arms, I mimic her stance now, "Selene and I aren't 'buddy buddy'. Even if we were, why would that bother you so much?"

Zoey glares towards the lockers for a moment before relaxing slightly and rolling her eyes. "I don't care... not really. Only, I don't think you should waste your time with her."

Okay... there is definitely a story here. But I won't push her on it.

"Well thanks for the suggestion, but I'll hang out with whoever I want."

She raises an eyebrow and then starts to grin, "Yeah. I can respect that. Just keep in mind that not everyone is who they seem to be around here."

A sharp laugh escapes my lips and takes her off guard, "You don't have to tell me that twice."

Zoey glances past me and I turn to follow her gaze. Tristan is coming down the hall and our eyes meet as he leans against a locker to chat with another classmate. 

"Especially them," Zoey scoffs

I open my mouth to object but find the words stuck in my throat. My instinct is to trust the siblings after everything we went through the other night, but the truth of the matter is I still know next to nothing about either of them.

"I'll be careful," I say.

Zoey smirks in a way that scrunches up her nose and dimples one freckled cheek, and for a moment she looks younger and sweeter. It seems she puts effort into appearing stand-offish.

Tristan comes up beside us and smiles, "Ready to work on the history project?"

Zoey's smile is gone as fast as it had come as she twirls away towards the classroom dramatically, "Are we ever."